News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Another day, another American Communist TV documentary on Swedish state television blaming WW2 on the West... :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2016, 03:24:38 PM
Another day, another American Communist TV documentary on Swedish state television blaming WW2 on the West... :rolleyes:

Well Germany is considered a western country these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 29, 2016, 03:26:48 PM

Well Germany is considered a western country these days.

I know you're from Texas so I forgive you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Swedish taxpayer marvel?

Admiral Yi

Sopranos all wrapped up, back onto Band of Brothers.  Eindhoven episode.

Question for the western Euros: after liberation, when chicks who banged Krauts were pissed on, is that generally considered a really cool thing, or not such a cool thing?

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2016, 03:28:11 AM

Question for the western Euros: after liberation, when chicks who banged Krauts were pissed on, is that generally considered a really cool thing, or not such a cool thing?

Not a cool thing. My granddad who was in the resistance once said that those girls were abused by posers who just slapped on a resistance band after the war.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Finally got around to watching S4 of House of Cards.

It starting to feel like it's turning into a dragging political soap opera that trying to stretch/exploit its notoriety as long as possible.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 02, 2016, 07:32:56 AM

It starting to feel like it's turning into a dragging political soap opera that trying to stretch/exploit its notoriety as long as possible.

IIRC the original British series was over in three seasons, the final one with him being PM; so maybe they're drawing it out or extending it to 'West Wing' proportions?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

I haven't watched the 4th season so I don't know if that one's good, but I have always dug the "cynical version of West Wing" angle of House of Cards once he gets to the top.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on July 02, 2016, 09:08:31 AM

IIRC the original British series was over in three seasons, the final one with him being PM; so maybe they're drawing it out or extending it to 'West Wing' proportions?
The second two deal with Urquhart as PM. Second one is when he comes into conflict with a well-meaning but naive new King and the third one is his downfall.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

4 took me back from the brink of no longer watching the show. 3 is where shit got completely ridiculous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 02, 2016, 09:17:26 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 02, 2016, 09:08:31 AM

The second two deal with Urquhart as PM. Second one is when he comes into conflict with a well-meaning but naive new King and the third one is his downfall.

Third one was positively ridiculous. In a good way. Tory internal strife around EU was also quite a major plot point, too :D

Sheilbh

Worth watching again perhaps.

The novels the TV series is based on were written by Maggie's chief of staff and a future Deputy Chairman of Tory party after all.
Let's bomb Russia!

Drakken

Quote from: frunk on June 28, 2016, 01:57:53 PM
Kurt Russell is far too affable a personality to be menacing.  Before the end of act 1 reveal I didn't find him menacing at all.  Even after he's revealed as a crazed killer I was like "what a nice guy".

Kurt Russell, too affable? :huh: Escape from New York? Tombstone? Escape from LA?

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2016, 03:31:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2016, 03:28:11 AM

Not a cool thing. My granddad who was in the resistance once said that those girls were abused by posers who just slapped on a resistance band after the war.

1. Passively collaborate with Nazis/keep head down under Nazi rule

2. The instant Nazis lose, loudly proclaim allegiance to Resistance

3. Cement reputation as active Resistance member by loudly and publicly heaping abuse on women who slept with Germans - lead the jeering crowds

4. Gain heroic reputation without the slightest risk

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius