And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 11, 2016, 04:06:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2016, 02:14:42 PM
However, if you have modifications to the texts that are done centuries later, these writing are likely to represent what those people thought the men who wrote it originaly thought.  It's not like there is one Bible left untouched since it was first written.

That's usually more of an issue with the OT rather than the NT - with a few well known exceptions.  Because we have access to pretty old Greek manuscripts.  In the case of Revelation 13, there is a Greek text preserved on a 3rd century papyrus.
I've got a Bible here that reports all iterations made to the same passages over the years, and accross different christian denominations.  Sometimes, you have near a dozen iterations for the same verse.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 11, 2016, 04:40:50 PM
However, if you have modifications to the texts that are done centuries later, these writing are likely to represent what those people thought the men who wrote it originaly thought.  It's not like there is one Bible left untouched since it was first written.

That's usually more of an issue with the OT rather than the NT - with a few well known exceptions.  Because we have access to pretty old Greek manuscripts.  In the case of Revelation 13, there is a Greek text preserved on a 3rd century papyrus.
I've got a Bible here that reports all iterations made to the same passages over the years, and accross different christian denominations.  Sometimes, you have near a dozen iterations for the same verse.

Those are all going to be issues of translation.  The language of the Bible itself was agreed upon by about the 4th or 5th century.

If there are differences across denominations, it is about which books to include in the Bible.  It's not about what those books said.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2016, 05:18:42 PM

Those are all going to be issues of translation.  The language of the Bible itself was agreed upon by about the 4th or 5th century.

If there are differences across denominations, it is about which books to include in the Bible.  It's not about what those books said.

:lmfao:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tonitrus

Quote from: Berkut on March 11, 2016, 05:19:16 PM

:lmfao:

viper37

Those are all going to be issues of translation.
there is that, but sometimes, stuff gets added too.  Or maybe it was always there but we're missing those parts.  That is entirely possible, I guess.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Looks like Michael Douglas is very ill and will kick the bucket any time now because of a cancer relapse. Damn.  :(

Razgovory

That would carry more weight if I didn't just post the Latin version that was used in late Roman empire to the late medieval period, which backs up what I just said.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2016, 06:24:42 PM
Looks like Michael Douglas is very ill and will kick the bucket any time now because of a cancer relapse. Damn.  :(

Bummer. His dad is due to hit the century mark in December IIRC.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Been watching S1 of Arrow. I've long had reservations due to the network it's on. And they're not without merit. It does have pretty artificial dialogue, at time verging on melodrama. There's a fair amount of talk about relationships and feelings and it often involves third parties. And they find an excuse every episode to have a scene where the main guy has his shirt off.

However, so far it's kept my interest(15 episodes in). Perhaps I'm a sucker, as in some ways it reminds me of Lost. Mysterious island, mysterious conspiracy. Generally, though I just think the plots are interesting enough to overlook the shortcomings. So far.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on March 11, 2016, 07:30:29 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2016, 06:24:42 PM

Bummer. His dad is due to hit the century mark in December IIRC.

Right now looks like it is just gossip. No reputable sources yet.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2016, 07:10:51 PM

That would carry more weight if I didn't just post the Latin version that was used in late Roman empire to the late medieval period, which backs up what I just said.
and you know for sure it is the exact replicas of the first texts written during Jesus' time on Earth because... ?

The Brain

Nothing was written down when He was alive the first time. "Nigga, is you taking notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy??!?"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2016, 03:50:56 AM
Nothing was written down when He was alive the first time. "Nigga, is you taking notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy??!?"

Check your white privilege before using that word.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 12, 2016, 01:00:43 AM
Been watching S1 of Arrow. I've long had reservations due to the network it's on. And they're not without merit. It does have pretty artificial dialogue, at time verging on melodrama. There's a fair amount of talk about relationships and feelings and it often involves third parties. And they find an excuse every episode to have a scene where the main guy has his shirt off.

However, so far it's kept my interest(15 episodes in). Perhaps I'm a sucker, as in some ways it reminds me of Lost. Mysterious island, mysterious conspiracy. Generally, though I just think the plots are interesting enough to overlook the shortcomings. So far.

The first seasons of Arrow are both great and awful at the same time. As you say, all the teen soapy elements are very cringeworthy, but they do have an interesting superhero story besides that. I liked the final episodes of S1 a lot, on that regard. S2 is great. S3 jumped the shark and focused more on the annoying parts of the show.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Brain on March 12, 2016, 03:50:56 AM

We put Jesus away for 33 to life once we passed RICO.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)