News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

For my money, "No ticket" is the most egregious goofy/awesome moment in all four of them.  The most egregious goofy/goofy moment is "We're here to see the tapestries!"  As an adult, they stick in the craw just about as badly as anything in Crystal Skull.

"It belongs in a museum" is gold, though.  I dunno if that even counts as cheesy.

But I didn't mean dialogue/plot points, so much as the physical bits that people get bent out of shape about re: Skull, but give the OT a complete free pass on.  (Again, the biggest offender is Crusade, when Indy uses what might as well be the Great Danton's teleporter to magic himself off of a moving train, but Temple's pretty rife too.  Raiders is probably the most grounded, though it still assumes a basic 80s badass superhumanity to Indy.  It's also, hilariously, the one where Indy's participation in the story achieves virtually nothing, except possibility finding the Ark itself, which in itself amounts to a mess that YHWH has to clean up.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I actually don't mind the non-grounded stunts or cheesy dialogue. I actually didn't mind the refrigerator, for instance. It just felt tired, and phoned in, uninspired. Ford sleepwalking through the role was the symptom of the whole malaise.

Since we are bringing up The Force Awakens, even with all the recycled bits there was more spark in the new characters than anything in the Crystal Skull.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2016, 06:22:06 PM
"It belongs in a museum" is gold, though.  I dunno if that even counts as cheesy.

When it's repeated as frequently as it was in as short a time span, it does.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Caught a snip of Entourage last night.  Easy to see why it went no where.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2016, 06:57:33 PM
I actually don't mind the non-grounded stunts or cheesy dialogue. I actually didn't mind the refrigerator, for instance. It just felt tired, and phoned in, uninspired. Ford sleepwalking through the role was the symptom of the whole malaise.

Since we are bringing up The Force Awakens, even with all the recycled bits there was more spark in the new characters than anything in the Crystal Skull.

Ford aside (and maybe John Boyega aside), I can't get on board with that.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2016, 08:00:28 PM
Caught a snip of Entourage last night.  Easy to see why it went no where.

It was alright, more like a three or four episode arc of the show than a movie though. Definitely not worth paying 8 bucks to see.

Now, Hyde might have been interesting...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2016, 05:27:02 PM
Remember my friend that did that film about corpse raping? The film has been leaked on the net ahead of its DVD release and it has been downloaded 2 million times in Phillipines  :lol:
Thanks.  I'll add this to the place I don't want to go.   :yuk:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The Man in the high castle, season 1.  Pretty good.  It took until the very last of the first season for me to decide if I would watch season 2, but now, I'm hooked :)

One question:
[spoiler]Is Hitler the Man in the High Castle?  He lives in a castle, very high, he has lots of movies, he seems to know a lot of things about individuals, like Heydrich betraying him, Rudolph losing his faith in the Reich...  Could it be that he himself makes the movie to keep his people busy chasing after a resistance that his more preoccupied about passing around movies than destabilizing the Reich's infrastructre or eliminating key personnel and exposing traitors in his own ranks along the way?  He is supposedly a sick old man, yet the only time we see him in person, he doesn't so at all.  Lots of mysteries there and some inter dimensional travels too.[/spoiler]

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2016, 01:35:47 AM
The Man in the high castle, season 1.  Pretty good.  It took until the very last of the first season for me to decide if I would watch season 2, but now, I'm hooked :)

One question:
[spoiler]Is Hitler the Man in the High Castle?  He lives in a castle, very high, he has lots of movies, he seems to know a lot of things about individuals, like Heydrich betraying him, Rudolph losing his faith in the Reich...  Could it be that he himself makes the movie to keep his people busy chasing after a resistance that his more preoccupied about passing around movies than destabilizing the Reich's infrastructre or eliminating key personnel and exposing traitors in his own ranks along the way?  He is supposedly a sick old man, yet the only time we see him in person, he doesn't so at all.  Lots of mysteries there and some inter dimensional travels too.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler]My gut says no but then they have really just used book as a source of inspiration so I suppose anything is possible. [/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2016, 01:35:47 AM

One question:

[spoiler]With the ending, I wasn't sure if Hitler was supposed to be TMITHC, or the Trade Minister dude was.  After all, apparently he can meditate his way into inter-dimensional travel.  :P[/spoiler]

celedhring

Fast and the Furious 9 and 10 (8 was already in the works) announced.  :bleeding:

Hollywood never knows when to stop.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 03, 2016, 04:01:15 AM

[spoiler]With the ending, I wasn't sure if Hitler was supposed to be TMITHC, or the Trade Minister dude was.  After all, apparently he can meditate his way into inter-dimensional travel.  :P[/spoiler]
yes, that scene alone secured my intent to view season 2 :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2016, 10:55:00 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 03, 2016, 04:01:15 AM

yes, that scene alone secured my intent to view season 2 :P

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.