News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

I'm sure it's a generational thing (I was a teen when Breakfast Club came out), but I'd rank that in my top 10 movies of all time.

And I had a thing for Ally Sheedy then.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Go back to Malta ya freak.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: Josephus on January 03, 2016, 04:19:17 PM
I'm sure it's a generational thing (I was a teen when Breakfast Club came out), but I'd rank that in my top 10 movies of all time.

Lots of guys had a thing for Ally Sheedy.  Doesn't mean that every movie she was in was good.

At any rate, I always thought that John Hughes' work was over-rated;  most of his movies I find to range from "meh" to OK lightweight forgettable entertainment.    Best thing he ever did was Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Josephus

They were miles ahead of any teen comedy since 1990.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on January 03, 2016, 07:31:01 PM

No, you just got too old to appreciate teen comedies.

I'm not even sure one could call the Breakfast Club a comedy, with all it's faux sincerity and self-importance, and lack of trying to make jokes. It's a mediocre dramedy at best.

I do think Ferris Bueller is slightly overrated by nostalgic 40 somethings, but it was an enjoyable movie nonetheless.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Josephus on January 03, 2016, 07:31:01 PM

First off, while he was best known for teen comedies, most of Hughes' films weren't teen comedies.  Secondly, talk about damning with faint praise.

11B4V

Quote from: dps on January 03, 2016, 06:17:52 PM

Lots of guys had a thing for Ally Sheedy.  Doesn't mean that every movie she was in was good.

At any rate, I always thought that John Hughes' work was over-rated;  most of his movies I find to range from "meh" to OK lightweight forgettable entertainment.    Best thing he ever did was Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

PTA is awesome.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Course Uncle Buck is a personal favorite.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on January 03, 2016, 08:17:14 PM
Quote from: dps on January 03, 2016, 06:17:52 PM

PTA is awesome.

Yeah, maybe I didn't make that clear, but it's more than "OK lightweight forgettable entertainment".

QuoteCourse Uncle Buck is a personal favorite.

Yes, it's an above-average Hughes film as well.  John Candy FTW.  Too bad he's gone.

Josephus

Oh alright, Breakfast Club wasn't a comedy.

It was  a great teen flick then. I can see, looking back, that it's somewhat over acted, yeah, especially by the male actors-- but, but....did I mention I had a thing for Ally Sheedy.

Truth be told, I probably haven't seen it since the early 90s...maybe I should rewatch.

Admiral Yi

Did you see the Hill Street Blues episode with Ally Sheedy as the jailbait Catholic school girl?

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on January 04, 2016, 02:57:35 PM

It was  a great teen flick then. I can see, looking back, that it's somewhat over acted, yeah, especially by the male actors-- but, but....did I mention I had a thing for Ally Sheedy.

Truth be told, I probably haven't seen it since the early 90s...maybe I should rewatch.

My favorite teen comedy was Heathers, but I haven't seen it in decades. Wonder if it would still hold up.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2016, 03:00:17 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 04, 2016, 02:57:35 PM

My favorite teen comedy was Heathers, but I haven't seen it in decades. Wonder if it would still hold up.

Heathers...the one about teen suicide...that comedy? ;)