Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2015, 07:58:17 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2015, 07:51:48 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2015, 07:04:13 AM
A friend of mine has got herself pregnant and is going to name her son "Luke". One of my best friends already has a 12-month "Lando" (the boy is indeed black).

This is getting really out of hand now  :lol:

The son of a friend of mine (huge Star Wars nerd) is called Luke. He insists that it was his wife's suggestion (she's not into Star Wars). I don't believe him.

Now, the German version (Lukas) would not raise any eyebrows.

Lucas is the Spanish version too. In Catalan it's "Lluc", which is sorta pronounced as "Yuk".

Actually, Luke is a diminutive of Lucas in English as well.

viper37

I thought I'd watched the new Terminator.  Couldn't be that bad, can't it?  Surely people had such high expectations since the 3rd and 4th were barely ok and they were just disapointed it wasn't as good.

Oh well.

I had to watch some GoT clips afterward, to see if it was the same Emilia Clarke from that excellent tv show.  All I saw in the movie was a girl who delievered most of her lines without any passion, in a totally mechanical way, she remembered the words, had no idea what it meant in that context.

And of course, they had to reuse lots of themes from the 1st 3 movies.  At some point, it gets just way too bad.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2015, 02:31:36 AM
Everything wrong with Terminator Genisys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ri1EF4UCOY

Is that a clip of the entire movie I suppose? Damn, that film managed to underwhelm my already crap expectations. It was truly terrible.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2015, 04:04:57 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2015, 02:31:36 AM
Everything wrong with Terminator Genisys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ri1EF4UCOY

Is that a clip of the entire movie I suppose? Damn, that film managed to underwhelm my already crap expectations. It was truly terrible.

Yeah, it's the whole movie. Cinema Sins do "Everything Wrong With" where they nitpick movies apart in a humorous fashion (they do it with good and bad movies - they recently did the original Star Wars movies).

Their playlist has 259 entries now: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMWfZxj1nTkQBy4AeRGG4xH5d2IIApNPj

The early ones are much shorter than the current ones.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Speaking of Red Dawn, I just caught the new one on the telly. I can only say  :lmfao:

I read that the storyline was meant to be about China "repossessing" the US after it defaults on its loans - which would've added some needed satire to the proceedings. But ultimately they decided to change it to North Korea so the film wasn't banned in China. Fitting.

Admiral Yi

There being nothing else on last night, I caught an episode of Homeland.  CIA is making a strong fashion statement these days.

Malthus

Any of you guys watched Turn? It's a Revolutionary War spy series, based very loosely on fact (the "Culper Ring"). I enjoyed it, though the love triangle stuff tacked on was trying.

It had the predictable psychopathic Brits, but overall, not entirely horrible and one-sided, as these US Revolutionary War things often are.  ;) The lead fellow looks like a weasel though - he's miscast as a romantic lead: it is hard to believe he has two hott women after him.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sophie Scholl

I gave Turn a shot, back before it got the secondary title.  I wanted to like it, but... no.  It was just too one sided for my tastes.  It also randomly changed interesting historical facts to fiction for no logical reason.  If it helps get people interested in the Revolutionary War, then I support it, but I won't be watching it.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

One-sided like The Great Escape or Lord of the Rings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 08, 2015, 05:46:05 PM

You are talking to a guy who picked the user name Benedict Arnold...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 08, 2015, 05:32:42 PM
I gave Turn a shot, back before it got the secondary title.  I wanted to like it, but... no.  It was just too one sided for my tastes.  It also randomly changed interesting historical facts to fiction for no logical reason.  If it helps get people interested in the Revolutionary War, then I support it, but I won't be watching it.

Awesome username/post combo.  :D

Yeah, it is pretty one-sided at the start (it gets less so as it goes, though). Certainly it was highly fictionalized. That did not, I think, make it unwatchable - I still enjoyed it. It is I think too much to expect of Americans that they make a series on the Revolutionary War that really gives the Loyalists a fair shake.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Just like it's too much to expect of Canadians that they make a movie that doesn't suck.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2015, 05:48:40 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 08, 2015, 05:46:05 PM

You are talking to a guy who picked the user name Benedict Arnold...

So in LOTR terms, he'd be Grima Wormtongue.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The second season of Fargo is so amazing.  I don't want it to end next week.   :cry:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien