Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2015, 07:39:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2015, 07:36:26 AM
Not exactly an answer though. :P

What I mean is that nobody is going to use a foreign name like that unless it's a homage of some sort. And yeah, she's a Star Wars geek.

I would say most people who choose Luke in the rest of the world are doing it as an homage too. ;)

But fair enough. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2015, 07:04:13 AM
A friend of mine has got herself pregnant and is going to name her son "Luke". One of my best friends already has a 12-month "Lando" (the boy is indeed black).

This is getting really out of hand now  :lol:

The son of a friend of mine (huge Star Wars nerd) is called Luke. He insists that it was his wife's suggestion (she's not into Star Wars). I don't believe him.

Now, the German version (Lukas) would not raise any eyebrows.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

A Very Murray Christmas was decent.

I saw Brooklyn, that was good.

Bad Santa, fucked up as always.

PDH!

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2015, 07:51:48 AM
A friend of mine has got herself pregnant and is going to name her son "Luke". One of my best friends already has a 12-month "Lando" (the boy is indeed black).

The son of a friend of mine (huge Star Wars nerd) is called Luke. He insists that it was his wife's suggestion (she's not into Star Wars). I don't believe him.

Now, the German version (Lukas) would not raise any eyebrows.

Lucas is the Spanish version too. In Catalan it's "Lluc", which is sorta pronounced as "Yuk".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2015, 07:58:17 AM
Lucas is the Spanish version too. In Catalan it's "Lluc", which is sorta pronounced as "Yuk".

Catalan has succumbed to yeísmo too!  :o

Liep

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2015, 07:37:17 AM
I've been watching House as of late. Never watched it when it ran as I couldn't stand Hugh Laurie's arrogant, world-weary character. I'm finding now that I enjoy his character immensely. :weep:

Is it age or the general British spirit? :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on December 06, 2015, 06:34:40 PM

I have already watched/given up on all those shows. Except Silicon Valley and Narcos. Will add them to the queue.

Both very good. Try Peaky Blinders (gangsters in early 1920s Birmingham) on Netflix as well.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on December 07, 2015, 08:15:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2015, 07:37:17 AM
I've been watching House as of late. Never watched it when it ran as I couldn't stand Hugh Laurie's arrogant, world-weary character. I'm finding now that I enjoy his character immensely. :weep:

Is it age or the general British spirit? :P

Thinking must be age. Character is pretty American, after all, he basically never apologizes! :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I am waiting a few more years to see all the "Daenyrs" and "Ned" kids going into kindergarten...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Gups on December 07, 2015, 08:17:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 06, 2015, 06:34:40 PM

I have already watched/given up on all those shows. Except Silicon Valley and Narcos. Will add them to the queue.

Both very good. Try Peaky Blinders (gangsters in early 1920s Birmingham) on Netflix as well.

Peaky Blinders is awesome. I binge-watched the second season last week.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2015, 01:47:13 PM
In random nostalgia ... Alfred J Kwak was a Dutch cartoon show for kids that also ran in Germany. One story arc had the Kra usurp the benevolent king's throne with the aid of the National Crow Party. The heroes then go and start a resistance to bring power back to the people.

This is what he looked like:

Subtle. :lol:

So subtle he had to be called Dolf as well.  :lol:

That was a cool cartoon  :cool:

Kleves

Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part: 2. Pretty good, though there's a fair amount of goofiness. Surprisingly dark.

Creed. I really enjoyed it. There's an extended shot that's incredible, and worth the price of admission by itself.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Savonarola

The Iron Mask (1929)

Douglas Fairbanks last silent film, (though he does deliver two brief voice overs in it.)  This is an elaborate production filled with buckle and swash.  Most of the cast from the 1921 film "The Three Musketeers" are back for this one.  Nigel de Brulier not only was Cardinal Richelieu in the 1921 production, but also in the 1935 version of The Three Musketeers and the 1939 version of The Man in the Iron Mask.  The high points of the film are when we learn that Athos, Porthos, Aramis and d'Artagnan all sleep in the same bed (with an Un Pour Tous, Tous Pour Un engraved over the top) and when Constance (Marguerite de la Motte) and Milady de Winter (Dorthy Revier) engage in a cat fight (RAWR!) 

It doesn't really follow the book (even today I think you'd be hard pressed to make a character as complex as Aramis work in a movie) but, like the books, d'Artagnan does die just as he learns he is made Marshal of France.  It was Douglas Fairbanks only on screen death; symbolic of the death of quality films.   :(

(Well, at least for a few years)  ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on December 04, 2015, 05:10:11 PM
Blancanieves.

Spanish adaptation of Snow White set in 1920s Andalucía, where Snow White is the daughter of a famous bullfighter, who was tricked into marrying a scheming arriviste after he was left paraplegic by a bull during a corrida. After running off from the evil stepmother, Snow White is taken by a travelling dwarf bullfighter troupe, and ends up becoming a bullfighter herself.

The film is shot as a 1920s silent, with a flamenco soundtrack, and plays like a Spanish-themed distant cousin of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. If you are into bizarrely artsy stuff, it's a fantastic film.

Yes Sav, that means you.

How did I get this reputation?  :unsure:

;)

I've put it in my Netflix queue.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

The latest Brooklyn Nine-Nine disgraces itself by delivering a low blow to the proud Danish nation. :weep: :weep: :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk