News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Rudy. Rather cheesy, but unobnoxious, feel-good fare.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Loved Man of Steel, but that trailer was terrbile. Same for the Star Wars trailer.

I must be getting old  :cry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 03, 2015, 08:34:45 PM
Loved Man of Steel, but that trailer was terrbile. Same for the Star Wars trailer.

I must be getting old  :cry:

Did do anything for me
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2015, 04:59:10 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2015, 04:53:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2015, 04:27:03 PM
Batman is a superhero now?

Absolutely; even if he doesn't have superpowers within the fictional universe, he has far higher physical capacities that any middle-aged guy on real Earth.

Dolph is a superhero now?

No tights, no party.

Now, he might qualify in some movies I guess. The basic conceit of the superhero story is seeing people (heroes and villains) doing things that are far above what the average human can do (hence the word "superhero"). Batman certainly qualifies for that even if they try to sell the idea that he has "no superpowers".

jimmy olsen

Watching some amateur korean MMA fights on the bar TV.  You'd think that in a country where every man has been in the army, that the fights would be pretty good. You would be mistaken.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Blancanieves.

Spanish adaptation of Snow White set in 1920s Andalucía, where Snow White is the daughter of a famous bullfighter, who was tricked into marrying a scheming arriviste after he was left paraplegic by a bull during a corrida. After running off from the evil stepmother, Snow White is taken by a travelling dwarf bullfighter troupe, and ends up becoming a bullfighter herself.

The film is shot as a 1920s silent, with a flamenco soundtrack, and plays like a Spanish-themed distant cousin of Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. If you are into bizarrely artsy stuff, it's a fantastic film.

Yes Sav, that means you.

Eddie Teach

Red Dawn (1984, of course). Greatest 2nd Amendment agitprop ever?

I don't think Powers Boothe's voice gets enough credit.

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on December 03, 2015, 04:38:37 PM
Snow White and the Huntsman is on TV. I don't have an opinion on Twilight Chick as an actress (never seen any of her movies), but I think she's hot.

KStew was a stunner for the role of Joan Jett in The Runaways.

Drakken

That's how I saw Rocky IV when I was a kid. :cry:

Eddie Teach

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 04, 2015, 11:55:52 PM
Red Dawn (1984, of course). Greatest 2nd Amendment agitprop ever?

I nominate one of the Charles Bronson street vigilante movies.  In war time gun rights are not up for debate.

Eddie Teach

A gun control advocate might argue the Death Wish thugs would also be unarmed if guns were harder to come by.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 05, 2015, 02:44:42 AM
A gun control advocate might argue the Death Wish thugs would also be unarmed if guns were harder to come by.

But that's irrelevant to the pleasure of mowing down bad guys, which is what Death Wish is about.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Drakken on December 05, 2015, 12:17:10 AM

That's how I saw Rocky IV when I was a kid. :cry:

Dolph was more of a superhero in Masters of the Universe, or even Bridge of Dragons (Warchild!) with the great Hiroyuki Cary Tagawa as the villain.

As for Death Wish movies, Opus three is so over the top it's my favourite.