News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on November 20, 2015, 02:44:35 PM
I've been watching The Blacklist this season, and really liking it. I had missed most of last season, felt I was tired of it, but I'm really liking it now.

One of my favorite shows, Grimm, started its next season a few weeks ago. On Friday nights.
I really like The Blacklist :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2015, 03:01:45 PM
a journey that also takes him to the ancient home world of the Sith, Korriban Moraband (no idea why they renamed it).
I blame Lucas. ;)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Moraband#Behind_the_scenes

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2015, 03:45:42 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2015, 10:02:46 AM
Clone Wars had better stories, but due to it being a kid's show, they can't really portrait Anakin as the evil he will become, they can't really show us his progression toward that.

Yeah, a kids show! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRBy_jKlcFA
well, not 6 years olds, but teenagers.  It's no more violent or adult than Rambo or Commando, which most of us saw in our teen years.

viper37

I've been watching The Bastard executioner.
This is probably the second best show no one ever watched :(
Cancelled after 1 year.

From the creator of Sons of Anarchy.  A former Longshank soldiers is sent to fight in Scotland and his betrayed by a noble, left for dead.  Following a revelation (the Angel kind of revelation), he survives his injuries, abandon his soldiering ways, becomes a farmer in a Wales shire, the exact place owned by the noble who betrayed him.  What a coincidence! ;)
Anyway, some Braveheart thing happens, the noble is dead, he assumes the identity of an executionner so he can infiltrate the castle and fulfill all of his revenge against the men who destroyed his village and murdered everyone.

From there one he is forced to keep assuming the identity of the executioner and becomes intricate to all the political plots going on, while trying to find his real place, rebel or executionner.

The story really picks up pace after the 4th episode.  It wasn't until there that I got hooked into the show.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2015, 12:35:24 PM
Cancelled after 1 year.

That's a shame.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2015, 12:35:24 PM
Cancelled after 1 year.

The story really picks up pace after the 4th episode.  It wasn't until there that I got hooked into the show.

See, I quit that after four episodes. So little patience, so little time.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 21, 2015, 03:26:43 AM
Binge watching "Man in the High Castle" which had its full season released today...

My impression is that the Japanese side of the plot is much more interesting/better done than the Nazi side...the actors for the Japanese trade minister and chief inspector of the Kempeitai are quite good.  The main Nazi villain is pretty good.  Pretty much all of the protagonists, though, are weak as hell.

Overall, pretty good, though.

I've watched over half of it.  It kinda bothers me that that Occupied America is so prosperous.  It's like the normal 1960's with Nazis and Imperial Japanese.  There is also the old trope of Nazis being really good with rockets and jets.  I think this is a bit of historical misunderstanding stemming from the German development of weapons the Allies rightly recognized as ineffective and not worth the resources.   I remember reading once that the Germany was producing fewer and fewer engineers every year after the Nazis came to power.  Not a good sign for technological, economic, and military superiority.  Also, did the Nazis actually like being called Nazis.  I was under the impression that was not a name they used and somewhat resented.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2015, 01:35:28 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 21, 2015, 03:26:43 AM
Binge watching "Man in the High Castle" which had its full season released today...

My impression is that the Japanese side of the plot is much more interesting/better done than the Nazi side...the actors for the Japanese trade minister and chief inspector of the Kempeitai are quite good.  The main Nazi villain is pretty good.  Pretty much all of the protagonists, though, are weak as hell.

Overall, pretty good, though.

I've watched over half of it.  It kinda bothers me that that Occupied America is so prosperous.  It's like the normal 1960's with Nazis and Imperial Japanese.  There is also the old trope of Nazis being really good with rockets and jets.  I think this is a bit of historical misunderstanding stemming from the German development of weapons the Allies rightly recognized as ineffective and not worth the resources.   I remember reading once that the Germany was producing fewer and fewer engineers every year after the Nazis came to power.  Not a good sign for technological, economic, and military superiority.  Also, did the Nazis actually like being called Nazis.  I was under the impression that was not a name they used and somewhat resented.

I dunno if it showed it being all that prosperous...the Japanese part seems portrayed as mostly being back in maybe the 50's, with the trope of a lot of outdoor "asian markets" look.  The prosperous parts shown of New York have mostly been the SS officer's house in the Hamptons...which would certainly be skewed anyway.

One plot point I thought was kinda dumb...[spoiler]the SS traitor delivering the microfilm to the Japanese kept having to try to get close to the Science Minister and slip it unaware...when it seemed like it would have been far easier for him to just hand it to the Trade Minister for him to give to the Science Minister.  No real rational reason is given why they couldn't do that.[/spoiler]

Josquius

I really liked the Man in the High Castle pilot. Saw an advert for it on mainstream British TV today.
Shall have to watch.
Then there's the new Marvel series too which should be interesting.
A lot of good stuff suddenly appeared for no reason. :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Also, just on a performance comparison level:

- Netflix: fast, smooth
- Amazon Prime: slow, clunky

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 21, 2015, 03:47:33 PM
Also, just on a performance comparison level:

- Netflix: fast, smooth
- Amazon Prime: slow, clunky

Agreed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Trading Places- Damn thats a good film, not seen it for a while. Whatever went wrong with Eddie Murphy.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2015, 01:59:22 PM
One defence of AOTC though:

I thought the ending was pretty bad ass.  When the clones arrive to save the Jedis, an entire CGI army of crazy machines, then it ending with shots of proto-Star Destroyers and hundreds of troopers marching while the theme lightly echoes the Imperial March...
I believe they were Victory-class Star Destroyers.

There was no badassery to it since it came down to a blizzard of CGI laser blasts over the screen like a 30 minute loop of the lightening field from Flash Gordon.

I saw the new Seth Rogen movie, The Last Night or whatever. Wasn't bad. 
PDH!

celedhring

The use of shaky-cam and quick zooms during that rescue scene was pretty jarring too. It's Star Wars, not Bourne with lightsabers.

Berkut

Quote from: Liep on November 20, 2015, 02:38:19 PM
Starting watching Episode 1 because of Josephus. I will never forgive him. The fighting scenes, Jar Jar, the shield generator scene. :bleeding:

I heard that someone re-edited all three movies taking out a ton of the terrible, and made a pretty decent film or two. I want to see that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned