News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2015, 10:29:13 AM
28 Days Later, The Others, Cabin in the Woods were all good movies. Sure the two actual horror movies from that short list is more than 10 years ago, but still from this century! :P

Seen all of those already. And only Cabin in the Woods (which isn't proper horror since it's more of a comedy) is recent. Loved it, mind.

As an aside, a close friend of mine bought the distribution rights for Cabin in the Woods in Spain for like a bag of crisps when it came out. His company was struggling (recessions are fun) and that film pretty much saved it.

Savonarola

Ghostbusters (1984)

Even by the standards of Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd that's an incredibly well written and incredibly quotable movie.  The special effects look dated; (especially considering it comes from a big budget film,) but otherwise it's held up very well. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

The voice sample in the C64 game was not super crisp though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on October 31, 2015, 11:12:57 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 31, 2015, 10:29:13 AM
28 Days Later, The Others, Cabin in the Woods were all good movies. Sure the two actual horror movies from that short list is more than 10 years ago, but still from this century! :P

Seen all of those already. And only Cabin in the Woods (which isn't proper horror since it's more of a comedy) is recent. Loved it, mind.

As an aside, a close friend of mine bought the distribution rights for Cabin in the Woods in Spain for like a bag of crisps when it came out. His company was struggling (recessions are fun) and that film pretty much saved it.
I find that's the trouble with horror movies of late--is that they prefer to go for campy/humour stuff as opposed to out and out scary. And my preference is not for gore but for chilling thriller, like The Others.

One of my fave horror movies of all time is a low budget Canadian film called The Changelling with George C. Scott.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

I have seen it. It's a pretty good one.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on October 31, 2015, 11:53:11 AM
Ghostbusters (1984)

Even by the standards of Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd that's an incredibly well written and incredibly quotable movie.

"You seem more like a game show host."

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Didn't watch Brood cause the old VHS was tracking too much.

Ended up watching 28 Weeks Later, which was surprisngly better than 28 Hours Later
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on November 01, 2015, 07:49:34 AM
Didn't watch Brood cause the old VHS was tracking too much.

Ended up watching 28 Weeks Later, which was surprisngly better than 28 Hours Later

It also teaches a valuable lesson: people in Real Madrid shirts will bring upon the end of the world.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: katmai on October 31, 2015, 07:18:58 PM
What happened to Ide? :huh:
He exploded in a righteous fireball of irony.y

Watched the Garfield Halloween last night.  Kick. Ass.
PDH!

celedhring

Me and my friends finally settled for getting drunk and watching Coppola's Dracula. Yeah, that's the kind of thing film snobs do.

I love that film, mind. Amazing and ridiculous at the same time.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2015, 01:14:12 PM
One of my fave horror movies of all time is a low budget Canadian film called The Changelling with George C. Scott.

Mine as well. It's an excellent movie. Part of it was filmed at U of T!  :D

Edit: it was on the other night but I couldn't watch it because the kid was also watching. I might have risked it, it being Halloween and all, but my wife imposed her veto, reminding me that I would be the one staying up if he had trouble sleeping as a result.   ;) To be sure, it is too scary for an almost 10 year old.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2015, 11:10:35 AM
Quote from: Josephus on October 31, 2015, 01:14:12 PM

Mine as well. It's an excellent movie. Part of it was filmed at U of T!  :D

Edit: it was on the other night but I couldn't watch it because the kid was also watching. I might have risked it, it being Halloween and all, but my wife imposed her veto, reminding me that I would be the one staying up if he had trouble sleeping as a result.   ;) To be sure, it is too scary for an almost 10 year old.

yeah, bit creepy for a 10 year old.

Wait four more years and then watch it with him.