News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I liked new SW trailer. I like SW with all its faults. Looking forward to new movie and game but don't care for books, toys and animated series.

Regarding TWD, I use spoiler tags, don't blame it on me!
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

It is actually kind of an interesting idea - what happens to giant evil empire when evil progenitor is killed BEFORE evil empire is really defeated thoroughly?

It is like wondering what would happen to Nazi Germany if the French had managed to kill Hitler when he was visiting a conquered Paris or something.

Would the entire thing just go away? Seems unlikely.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

QuoteAnakin Skywalker is prophesied to be the one that will save the galaxy

Nitpick: In the movies it's said that he would bring balance to the Force. If light wins, then it's not in balance. If dark wins it's not in balance. No force would technically mean that there's a balance.

Crazy theory, based on that: at the end of ROTJ there are two known force users: Luke and Leia. What if, in order to keep the balance, one has to join the dark side, the other the light side? What if Luke made the sacrifice of joining the dark side to spare his sister from that anguish?

What if that balance gets disturbed by new force sensitives arising again (Kylo Ren, Finn ...)?

Also: Finn uses a green light saber in the trailer - maybe a present from Luke (because where else would he get a light saber quickly)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 20, 2015, 09:19:51 AM
Regarding TWD, I use spoiler tags, don't blame it on me!

Not blaming anyone - if there is a lot of discussion, eventually someone will forget.

[spoiler]So now apparently I know that Carls dad is going to get killed. That kind of sucks for me.[/spoiler].

No need to be draconian about it, but if there is going to be a lot of discussion about an ongoing series, better to be done in a separate thread that people can intentionally avoid.

0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:23:52 AM
[spoiler]So now apparently I know that Carls dad is going to get killed. That kind of sucks for me.[/spoiler].

:lol:

[spoiler]No, Rick kills Ron's dad. I didn't think to spoiler it because it happened last season.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2015, 09:23:29 AM

Nitpick: In the movies it's said that he would bring balance to the Force. If light wins, then it's not in balance. If dark wins it's not in balance. No force would technically mean that there's a balance.

Crazy theory, based on that: at the end of ROTJ there are two known force users: Luke and Leia. What if, in order to keep the balance, one has to join the dark side, the other the light side? What if Luke made the sacrifice of joining the dark side to spare his sister from that anguish?

Not really crazy at all, it is an interesting idea, and one I've actually thought about.

Of course, the implication then is that as far as the force is concerned, balance is what is "good", not good.

So it values some good and some evil as being preferable to just all good - which is kind of an evil sort of position, philosophically. It certainly is not a good position.

0 rows returned

Syt

But you could make the point that there can't be good without evil - in order to recognize something, we may need to know the antithesis. How do you define darkness or happiness without having a concept of its polar opposite? (Not saying it's impossible, but using the opposite is the fastest way of explaining it.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2015, 09:28:17 AM
But you could make the point that there can't be good without evil - in order to recognize something, we may need to know the antithesis. How do you define darkness or happiness without its polar opposite? (Not saying it's impossible, but using the opposite is the fastest way of explaining it.)

Yeah, that is pretty much bullshit in my view.

You don't need some child dying because some evil person hates them in order to appreciate some other kid NOT dying, for example.

This become solipsism - the idea that what is "good" depends on there being actual "evil" simply re-defines "good" to be "some mix of good and evil", as if the actual values of "good" and "evil" have no weight in and of themselves.

"good" has positive value.

"evil" has negative value.

Therefore, the idea that we need some negative to counter the positive makes no sense. If we want a maximal possible "good" value, then ANY amount of evil is not desirable.

If you simply re-define "good" to be a zero net value, then we are no longer talking about "good" at all, but something else, which certainly is not "good".

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:21:58 AM
It is actually kind of an interesting idea - what happens to giant evil empire when evil progenitor is killed BEFORE evil empire is really defeated thoroughly?

You get space Khrushchev.
That's not a space station in the poster.  It's a giant planet-crushing shoe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:32:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2015, 09:28:17 AM
But you could make the point that there can't be good without evil - in order to recognize something, we may need to know the antithesis. How do you define darkness or happiness without its polar opposite? (Not saying it's impossible, but using the opposite is the fastest way of explaining it.)

Yeah, that is pretty much bullshit in my view.

You don't need some child dying because some evil person hates them in order to appreciate some other kid NOT dying, for example.

This become solipsism - the idea that what is "good" depends on there being actual "evil" simply re-defines "good" to be "some mix of good and evil", as if the actual values of "good" and "evil" have no weight in and of themselves.

Therefore, the idea that we need some negative to counter the positive makes no sense. If we want a maximal possible "good" value, then ANY amount of evil is not desirable.

If you simply re-define "good" to be a zero net value, then we are no longer talking about "good" at all, but something else, which certainly is not "good".

Well in a system where their truly was 'no evil', I don't think 'good' would have any value. It wouldn't be a concept that could even be understood by someone in the always 'good' system.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:26:23 AM

Not really crazy at all, it is an interesting idea, and one I've actually thought about.

Of course, the implication then is that as far as the force is concerned, balance is what is "good", not good.

So it values some good and some evil as being preferable to just all good - which is kind of an evil sort of position, philosophically. It certainly is not a good position.

Is the Force in the Star Wars universe some sort of concious entity like a god, or is it simply an unconcious natural occurance? If the latter, it may be unable to care one way or the other about whether it is overall good or evil. Its seeking of "balance" may have no more ethical weight than water seeking to flow downhill.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:32:56 AMYeah, that is pretty much bullshit in my view.

I'm not saying that "good" has zero value; let alone go into the hornet's nest that what's seen as good by one might be considered evil by someone else.

I'm positing that within the philosophy and world order of the fictional world that is Star Wars, long term balance, or a cycle, or an ebb and flow between contrarian ideas may be the driving concept of the universe, not one side or the other having a final triumph.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on October 20, 2015, 09:37:09 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:26:23 AM

Is the Force in the Star Wars universe some sort of concious entity like a god, or is it simply an unconcious natural occurance? If the latter, it may be unable to care one way or the other about whether it is overall good or evil. Its seeking of "balance" may have no more ethical weight than water seeking to flow downhill.

Indeed - but that means that the "good" should not make any effort at all to accommodate this condition, but should in fact resist it.

The Force, in that case, does not become something to be revered, but just a tool to be used.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2015, 09:38:53 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 20, 2015, 09:32:56 AMYeah, that is pretty much bullshit in my view.

I'm not saying that "good" has zero value; let alone go into the hornet's nest that what's seen as good by one might be considered evil by someone else.

I'm positing that within the philosophy and world order of the fictional world that is Star Wars, long term balance, or a cycle, or an ebb and flow between contrarian ideas may be the driving concept of the universe, not one side or the other having a final triumph.

Which is fine, but like I said, that means that the "Force" as the physical manifestation of this natural drive for balance, is in fact a somewhat malevolent force, to be resisted, and not at all revered, at least by those who desire "good", which presumably is what is best for the majority of sentient beings.

0 rows returned