News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'll wait at least for the reviewers to look at it.

Liep

John Oliver is alarmingly misinformed about Danish Zoos.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. Worth the watch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Chang (1927)

Merian C. Cooper and Ernest Schoedsack journeyed into upper Siam to make this movie about man's eternal struggle against the jungle.  This one isn't a documentary (as their previous film "Grass" had been,) it has a melodramatic story, but the jungle scenes are shot documentary style.  They didn't use a telephoto lens, and the great cats are really close in a number of scenes.  The actors are all residents of a remote village in upper Siam.  Cooper and Schoedsack didn't speak Laotian, so all direction had to be done through interpreters.

This film would go on to be an influence on Cooper and Schoedsack's "King Kong" (Carl Denham is based on the two directors), the Johnny Weissmuller "Tarzan" pictures and countless Disney nature documentaries. 

After the Second World War  Schoedsack wanted to remake both "Grass" and "Chang" and had crews sent out.  According to Cooper the films they had brought back were just not that compelling, the world had changed too much in twenty years.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

6 Episodes into second season of House of Cards. I enjoy the plot and the acting. But it's so cynical and its characters while multifaceted and well rounded so despicable that I find it increasingly hard to care about them or the show.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

You are not supposed to care about them. But I get your point. I kind of lost interest as well, even while I was thinking "Hey, this is really good..."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

I kind of had the same feeling toward Seinfeld, though I continued watching throughout its run cause the writing was consistently good. Most other long-running sitcoms are only watchable at the end because you're invested in the characters. (See Friends, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, Frasier, etc.)

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2015, 10:01:50 AM
6 Episodes into second season of House of Cards. I enjoy the plot and the acting. But it's so cynical and its characters while multifaceted and well rounded so despicable that I find it increasingly hard to care about them or the show.

I accidentally watched them alphabetically.  :blush:
Wacthed ep. 1 at home, ep. 2 at my gf's place, then continued back home with 10 and 11.
Halfway through 11 I figured something was off and found out the problem, then decided I obviously wasn't interested enough to continue. 

Grey Fox

I have 3(?) seasons on dvd at home.

One day, maybe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

I really liked seasons 1 and 2.  3 jumped the shark.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Liep on October 19, 2015, 04:15:09 AM
John Oliver is alarmingly misinformed about Danish Zoos.

I don't care anything about Canadian politics, but now I really hope Harper wins.

Also, Polk didn't take Texas from Mexico. The Texans had already done that. He took California, Arizona and New Mexico to boot.  :showoff:

Josephus

Walking Dead:

[spoiler]Why don't the Wolves have guns to start off with? Surely there must be some lying around...this is America. Also the girl at the beginning....I don't get her role in the episode.[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

lustindarkness

TWD: I think it was a great episode, and it was all the "secondary" characters! I also wondered why that character's exposition to start the episode.  :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

Walking Dead-
[spoiler]
The W guys don't really make much sense....They seemed to be a gang of psychopaths but...they've survived this long and are clearly planning, etc.... and then I remembered we saw them way back when.

The girl was explained towards the end when photos of Alexandria are found in one of the dead w guys' bags. They have a spy on the inside and Carl had discovered that she sneaked out of the camp a lot. She even started to say something along the lines of "My guys are here, I have to go" (can't remember exactly what...but certainly said 'we' about the invaders) when she walked into Carl's house.

edit- no wait, she said "You have too many blindspots" or something. Still othering herself but not quite with the guys. Still, seems that way.[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

Wrong, re watch last season. [spoiler]Those were the "recruitment" pics, the bag was dropped at the Wolves compound at the end season 5.[/spoiler]
Grand Duke of Lurkdom