News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 23, 2015, 03:10:08 PM
Ide does not like the Hunger Games movies? I guess I should watch them then.

You sound like an idiot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2015, 03:31:02 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on September 23, 2015, 03:10:08 PM
Ide does not like the Hunger Games movies? I guess I should watch them then.

You sound like an idiot.

I look like one too. :yes:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2015, 03:05:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2015, 02:12:16 PM
So, I havent seen any of the movies in the series so here's the question - should I watch the Hunger Games? I understand this is pop culture so I am not expecting high brow philosophy, just solid entertainment - so is this closer to Harry Potter (good) or Twilight (bad)?

People certainly seem to enjoy the Hunger Games series, so go nuts.  I think they're worse than Twilight overall.  Jennifer Lawrence is terrible in them, the stories of at least the first two are very bad (but particularly the first), and the filmmaking of the first one is rankly amateurish and ugly, whereas the filmmaking of the second is merely mediocre and basically watchable.

Ignore Ide. I've seen the first two Twilight movies and those were not even remotely fun (maybe the one moment when you find out what happens to vampires in the sun). First two Hunger Games movies were good, stupid fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

By default I have watched most of the shows being talked about,

Twilight: F
Hunger Games: As stated good stupid fun.
Maze Runner: about the same IMO
Divergent: could have been better
Harry Potter: best of the lot
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Divergent spent way too much time trying to explain the world. Insurgent was somewhat better but then virtual reality plot...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Camp X-Ray.  Kristen Stewart is a grunt assigned to Gitmo.  She befriends a detainee who throws shit on her and wants to read the last Harry Potter book.  It's OK.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on September 23, 2015, 05:32:45 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2015, 03:05:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2015, 02:12:16 PM
So, I havent seen any of the movies in the series so here's the question - should I watch the Hunger Games? I understand this is pop culture so I am not expecting high brow philosophy, just solid entertainment - so is this closer to Harry Potter (good) or Twilight (bad)?

People certainly seem to enjoy the Hunger Games series, so go nuts.  I think they're worse than Twilight overall.  Jennifer Lawrence is terrible in them, the stories of at least the first two are very bad (but particularly the first), and the filmmaking of the first one is rankly amateurish and ugly, whereas the filmmaking of the second is merely mediocre and basically watchable.

Ignore Ide. I've seen the first two Twilight movies and those were not even remotely fun (maybe the one moment when you find out what happens to vampires in the sun). First two Hunger Games movies were good, stupid fun.

I was comparing the whole Twilight series to the first two HG films.  The last three Twilights aren't... well, they're bad.  But they're operating at a different level of basic quality than the first two, which I'll happily concede are at least worse than HG: Catching Fire.
Kinemalogue

katmai

We all know Ide has shit taste, no need to remind him about it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Things I've learned about katmai lately:

1)He doesn't understand or like ambitious formalistic exercises, probably because all he knows is it would make his job harder.

2)He really enjoys terribly edited shakycam action movies where the director doesn't care about the performances so limits the takes, probably because that kind of anti-technique would make his job easier.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2015, 07:40:24 AM
It's a fun movie, but it's nowhere near as seminal as Alien/Blade Runner were.
The Academy disagrees. :contract:

Best Picture
Best Actor in a Leading Role (Russell Crowe)
Best Visual Effects
Best Costume Design
Best Sound Mixing
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

The Academy has never been a great barometer for that stuff, especially when it involves genres like science fiction and horror.

Anyway, the main point is that Blade Runner's way better than anything else Ridley Scott ever did, but Blade Runner's one of the best movies made in the past 40 years.

Alien and Gladiator are about on the same level of quality, I guess, although Alien is a lot more imaginative.

The real question is this, though: Ridley or Tony?  It's not as open and shut as it first appears.
Kinemalogue

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2015, 08:59:45 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2015, 07:40:24 AM
It's a fun movie, but it's nowhere near as seminal as Alien/Blade Runner were.
The Academy disagrees. :contract:

Best Picture
Best Actor in a Leading Role (Russell Crowe)
Best Visual Effects
Best Costume Design
Best Sound Mixing

That don't matter on languish. Come on Tim.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2015, 08:45:24 PM
Things I've learned about katmai lately:

1)He doesn't understand or like ambitious formalistic exercises, probably because all he knows is it would make his job harder.

2)He really enjoys terribly edited shakycam action movies where the director doesn't care about the performances so limits the takes, probably because that kind of anti-technique would make his job easier.

Which shows you know as little about me as you know about films.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son