And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2015, 02:18:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
Watched Apocalypse Now redux.  Adding 47 extra mintues did not help the movie in the slightest.  It is slightly more surreal, but the entire French colonial scene bring the film to a screeching stop.

Yeah, there's a reason Coppola cut it the first time around. It destroy's the film's pace, as great as the scene is taken by itself. I'm glad we got to see it, at least.

Redux is way better.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Dusk Till Dawn. Heh, it's fun. Weird because I hated it (minus the hot chicks) when it first came out. Probably because everything with Tarantino's name remotely attached was hyped beyond belief during the 90s.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2015, 06:15:43 AM
Dusk Till Dawn. Heh, it's fun. Weird because I hated it (minus the hot chicks) when it first came out. Probably because everything with Tarantino's name remotely attached was hyped beyond belief during the 90s.
There is a TV series now.  I saw the first two episodes and thought it was crap. 
PDH!

celedhring

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 17, 2015, 07:16:31 AM
There is a TV series now.  I saw the first two episodes and thought it was crap. 

There were a bunch of straight-to-TV sequels to the original, too. I worked as a reviewer in a cable TV show back then, and I had to see them all because the director was a fan and wanted us to review them. They were mind-numbingly awful, and with less hot chicks.

Savonarola

Fighting the War (1916)

American adventurer Daniel Thompson filmed some scenes of the battles on the western front.  It's often hard to tell what's going on throughout the film, since he only had one camera, and couldn't easily change his point of view.  He captured trench warfare and aerial combat at the Battle of Verdun.

Two peculiarities I found in the film is that he refers to Scottish soldiers as "Kilties" :scots: and that he writes that the French had air superiority throughout the war.  I found that surprising because the Germans had synchronized machine guns at that point, and the entente wouldn't until a year later.

Thompson was a more interesting character than the film.  He was arrested eight times by the French while trying to reach the front.  He finally reached it and filmed this over a four month period before being arrested by the French again.  He was deported to Britain, and had to bribe a Russian countess with cigar coupons (which he claimed were US currency) in order for her to smuggle his films into the UK.

The Log of the U-35 (1917)

In 1917 Kaiser Wilhelm announced unrestricted submarine warfare.  The Germans filmed the exploits of one sub, which, when captured, was used for entente propaganda.  At points this film is as absurdist as anything Luis Buñuel came up with, the Germans at one point capture a boat loaded with turtles.  Another time they sink a schooner. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2015, 07:42:00 AM

There were a bunch of straight-to-TV sequels to the original, too. I worked as a reviewer in a cable TV show back then, and I had to see them all because the director was a fan and wanted us to review them. They were mind-numbingly awful, and with less hot chicks.
Being less hot than mid-90s Selma Hayek isn't that difficult.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2015, 07:42:00 AM

I saw a bunch of them. They did indeed suck.  The TV show is within the last year, so it'll probably be a clone of the Walking Dead or something.
PDH!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on September 17, 2015, 02:22:58 AM
So, what are some good tv shows premiering / coming back shortly? I'm starved after three months of no GoT and abysmal second season of True Detective.

Did you try Narcos?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

If he didn't like The Wire, he probably won't like Narcos either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2015, 05:25:20 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2015, 02:18:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
Watched Apocalypse Now redux.  Adding 47 extra mintues did not help the movie in the slightest.  It is slightly more surreal, but the entire French colonial scene bring the film to a screeching stop.

Yeah, there's a reason Coppola cut it the first time around. It destroy's the film's pace, as great as the scene is taken by itself. I'm glad we got to see it, at least.

Redux is way better.

not sure if serious
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Syt

I usually watch Redux. I like the farm bit, though it is completely out of place. Meeting the Playboy bunnies was a good scene, though, in its contrast to the USO show.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.