News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

St. Vincent.  Bill Murray is a crabby drunken old guy who ends up babysitting his neighbor's kid.  Naomi Watts is the pregnant Russian hooker.  Looks and feels like a Wes Anderson movie.  Maybe it is a Wes Anderson movie.

I liked it.  7.5/10.

11B4V

Bustin through season 4 of Longmire. :showoff:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Savonarola

Zarafa (2012)

A French cartoon about the first giraffe in France.  The story is a fine adventure yarn which follows a young African boy (Maki) as he journeys to Europe to try to bring the giraffe home.  I saw this with my wife at the art house back in Detroit.  There's a scene at the end where the giraffe can talk; but only if you listen with your heart.

Savonarola:   :rolleyes:
CB:  :cry:

Your mileage may vary.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on September 16, 2015, 09:13:45 AM
Zarafa (2012)

A French cartoon about the first giraffe in France.  The story is a fine adventure yarn which follows a young African boy (Maki) as he journeys to Europe to try to bring the giraffe home.  I saw this with my wife at the art house back in Detroit.  There's a scene at the end where the giraffe can talk; but only if you listen with your heart.

Savonarola:   :rolleyes:
CB:  :cry:

Your mileage may vary.   ;)

I suppose if you eat the giraffe, you can listen with your stomach.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Next Time I Get Married. Lucille Ball is a young heiress who can't get her money unless she marries an American. Problem, she wants to marry a foreign dandy. So she hires some guy digging a ditch along the road to marry her, with the plan of getting a divorce and then marrying the foreigner. She rushes off with his dog still in her car, he comes after her and finds out who she is, then decides *he* needs to be the one to file for divorce first. Naturally, he kidnaps her and keeps her in his trailer while he drives to Reno. I think you can figure out where it goes from there...

It was a fun watch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2015, 09:30:09 AM
I think you can figure out where it goes from there...

They find her bones in the desert during Burning Man 1997?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2015, 09:51:18 AM

:lol:

[spoiler]Nah, she falls for the schlub.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2015, 09:30:09 AM
I think you can figure out where it goes from there...

... and make a "found object" set of xylophones out of them.  :punk:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 16, 2015, 09:57:23 AM

:lol:

[spoiler]Nah, she falls for the schlub.[/spoiler]

Well, naturally.

Everyone knows there is no more romantic action than kidnapping someone and keeping them in your trailer.  :)

If only CdM were here ...  :cry:

Razgovory

Watched Apocalypse Now redux.  Adding 47 extra mintues did not help the movie in the slightest.  It is slightly more surreal, but the entire French colonial scene bring the film to a screeching stop.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on September 16, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
Watched Apocalypse Now redux.  Adding 47 extra mintues did not help the movie in the slightest.  It is slightly more surreal, but the entire French colonial scene bring the film to a screeching stop.

Yeah, there's a reason Coppola cut it the first time around. It destroy's the film's pace, as great as the scene is taken by itself. I'm glad we got to see it, at least.

Reminds me of that Blade Runner definitive cut or whatever Ridley Scott released some years ago, with scenes he himself had cut from the original version, and that kill the film's pace too.

Martinus

So, what are some good tv shows premiering / coming back shortly? I'm starved after three months of no GoT and abysmal second season of True Detective.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

I try to like that show and never succeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point