News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

I bought Kagemusha, Last Temptation of Christ and Heaven's Gate in an earlier sale, when the € was stronger. I'm considering taking The Bridge (Die Brücke).
Or, if you get an interesting voucher, you could take the Cassavetes or Tati boxset.
I don't know what you already have so it's hard to be more specific.

PS: edit for Heaven's Gate, as I thought

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 23, 2015, 11:04:57 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 23, 2015, 11:00:54 AM
I think there was a US remake with Queen Latifa some years ago.

Avoid this at all costs.
duly noted :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Liep on July 23, 2015, 12:34:21 PM
Goddamn Banshee.

[spoiler]Stop killing off the hot women[/spoiler]
yeah, it's a shame.   They'll need new ones for the 4th season.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 23, 2015, 01:47:02 PM
I bought Kagemusha, Last Temptation of Christ and Heaven's Gate in an earlier sale, when the € was stronger. I'm considering taking The Bridge (Die Brücke).
Or, if you get an interesting voucher, you could take the Cassavetes or Tati boxset.
I don't know what you already have so it's hard to be more specific.

PS: edit for Heaven's Gate, as I thought

Turns out I have about $1400 more than I thought I did in my savings! :o

So I did what a responsible adult would do, and wound up buying:

Rushmore
All That Heaven Allows
Kagemusha
Last Temptation of Christ
My Darling Clementine
Hunger
Ace in the Hole
Sullivan's Travels
and 12 Angry Men.

I also got non-Criterion stuff, namely Focus, The Searchers, Thelma and Louise, and The Piano.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

How good is Criterion Kagemusha? Is it a long version?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

The technical site reviews are good, as they almost uniformly are for Criterion discs.
Kinemalogue

The Brain

I don't trust them. I trust you. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

:) I'll let you know.

I'll tell you what I really wish would get a Criterion or any release, Heaven and Earth (the Japanese one).  Love those samurai costumes so Goddamned much.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Oh, right, reviews and stuff.

Ant-Man (2015).  Delightfully pure adventure cinema is here, and if you ever had your doubts about Ant-Man, consider your dumb doubts dispelled.  Seriously, what was wrong with you?  9/10

And the Terminator series, I'll be getting back around to Genisys this weekend.

The Terminator (1984).  Robots killing humans doesn't get much better than this.  9/10

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991).  Robots killing humans only gets better than this when it's in space.  10/10

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003).  Piece of crap or unacknowledged classic?  Can it be both?  6/10

Terminator: Salvation (2009).  The nadir of the franchise.  One hopes.  3/10
Kinemalogue

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on July 23, 2015, 03:38:20 PM
How good is Criterion Kagemusha? Is it a long version?

Fuckin' awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2015, 03:54:34 PM
:) I'll let you know.

I'll tell you what I really wish would get a Criterion or any release, Heaven and Earth (the Japanese one).  Love those samurai costumes so Goddamned much.

Nothing beats 120-pounds Western blonde chicks dressing as Takeda and Uesugi samurai. :perv:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2015, 04:30:20 PM

Ant-Man (2015).  Delightfully pure adventure cinema is here, and if you ever had your doubts about Ant-Man, consider your dumb doubts dispelled.  Seriously, what was wrong with you?  9/10

The Terminator (1984).  Robots killing humans doesn't get much better than this.  9/10

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991).  Robots killing humans only gets better than this when it's in space.  10/10

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003).  Piece of crap or unacknowledged classic?  Can it be both?  6/10

Did you review Genysis yet?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

I'd exchanged the scores for Salvation and T3.  Or at least put them equal.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2015, 10:40:09 PM

Did you review Genysis yet?

You should review more Schwarzenegger movies in general. Predator and True Lies are a must.

And don't forget THEM! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point