Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on July 21, 2015, 07:28:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 21, 2015, 06:07:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2015, 01:17:23 PM
Blow Out (1981).  If a man can have only one masterpiece, then I don't think Blow Out is De Palma's masterpiece.  But it's still as essentially perfect as anything he ever did.  (My girlfriend dislikes it, and between this and Dressed to Kill thinks BDP is sick. :(10/10

Remake Blow Up with John Travolta but sans Herbie Hancock.

Poor tradeoff.
I don't really think that's fair.  They aren't really about the same thing at all.

No, they are not.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on July 21, 2015, 08:30:54 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on July 21, 2015, 07:32:44 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 21, 2015, 07:32:15 PM
Other than Pulp Fiction, can't think of anything I've liked him in.
Saturday Night Fever is one of my favorite movies.

I went to see Grease for my first date. :Embarrass:

Me too!  :)

Ideologue

Pretty dirty movie to go see on a first date in Olden Times.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Tom Dowd and the Language of Music (2003)

This is a documentary covering the career of sound engineer Tom Dowd who was Atlantic's principle engineer from the late 40s onward.  He worked with everyone from Dizzy Gillespie and Ornette Coleman to Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin to Eric Clapton and Lynyrd Skynyrd.  The film is mostly interviews with rock stars, record executives and Dowd.  It's an interesting history of music, but unfortunately Dowd wasn't really all that interesting of a person (he was an engineer after all), especially as compared to the rock stars.

Dowd had studied to be a scientist at Colombia University.  He was drafted into the Army Corps of Engineer and worked on the Manhattan Project.  The work he had done had been classified as a military secret, and professors had to teach physics as it was taught in 1939.  Rather than learn what he knew was wrong he went into the music industry.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2015, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2015, 10:54:29 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2015, 10:34:02 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 21, 2015, 08:30:54 PM
I went to see Grease for my first date. :Embarrass:

Me too!  :)

Presumably, not with each other.  :P

Don't h8!

Hey, I'm just making a presumption. If they did, it's cool with me.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

For my first ever movie date, I took her to see The Sixth Day, with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Yeah, we didn't last long. I genuinely thought she would enjoy it!

Admiral Yi

IIRC my first date movie was Sophie's Choice.  :mellow:

Archy

Just saw good night good luck. (2005) the movie directed by George Clooney.  I found it rather good.  Due to the black and white style it was nice to see the archive footage integrated so nicely. However I found the face of Clooney to distracting and for me it killed a bit the suspension of disbelieve.  I also liked the lady jazz singer who appeared and the insight in how a commercial TV was and is run. I however wonder what the hidden marriage was doing in it. Doesn't seem to have added much to the movie.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 20, 2015, 02:21:37 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2015, 01:17:23 PM

Cool World (1992).  Possessed of one of the lowest ratios of quality to budget of any film that was ever made, Bakshi's perverse folly is still worth watching every once in a while just to be reminded that--somehow--it was.  1/10

There's worse culprits in that particular metric, but yeah, Cool World is just... indescribably bad.

Cartoon Kim Basinger still made my parts tingle, though. Oh, to be 13...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2015, 07:27:17 AM
Saw a mid-90s movie: Leon: The Professional. Featured an 11 year old Natalie Portman in her debut role. She was awesome - easily the best child actress I have ever seen. How she is able to act so well in this movie, yet be so wooden later in Star Wars, I do not know. 

Direction.

The last good Besson film for me.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 22, 2015, 07:16:04 PM
For my first ever movie date, I took her to see The Sixth Day, with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Yeah, we didn't last long. I genuinely thought she would enjoy it!

The first movie date I went to (although it was not a real date at all) it was her the one who chose the movie. It was a quite dumb comedy whose title now eludes me, but I could swear that Rowan Atkinson was in there.

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 23, 2015, 03:50:56 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2015, 07:27:17 AM
Saw a mid-90s movie: Leon: The Professional. Featured an 11 year old Natalie Portman in her debut role. She was awesome - easily the best child actress I have ever seen. How she is able to act so well in this movie, yet be so wooden later in Star Wars, I do not know. 

Direction.

The last good Besson film for me.

But Fifth Element! :o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.