News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

About an 8/10, maybe 9/10.  It's probably my favorite PTA movie, not that post-Punch Drunk that's saying awfully much.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Inside Out - Great film, one of Pixar's best without a doubt. However, is this really a movie for children? The plot is completely built around abstract concepts, the themes are so adult... I guess that the characters and situations are so colorful that it might be enough for younger audiences, but this is definitely an adult movie that children may not find boring, rather than the other way around.

A question: [spoiler]why does Bing Bong apparently steal Riley's memories? It never gets explained, and he even tries to escape when he's first caught red-handed.[/spoiler]

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2015, 04:45:43 PM
How good can it really be, with Adam Sandler in the lead? :contract:
I was expecting a light and very silly film with one or two moments to make me smile.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

48 hrs. Kind of a missed opportunity, I think this could have been better if it had tried to be funnier. Instead it's a rather generic action movie. Eddie Murphy is wasted.

On another note, seeing Jonathan Banks skinny and with a little of his hair left made me realize I've seen him in bit parts in lots of movies like this. Which makes sense. People usually don't take up acting in their 60s.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on July 18, 2015, 06:23:37 PM
Inside Out - Great film, one of Pixar's best without a doubt. However, is this really a movie for children? The plot is completely built around abstract concepts, the themes are so adult... I guess that the characters and situations are so colorful that it might be enough for younger audiences, but this is definitely an adult movie that children may not find boring, rather than the other way around.

A question: [spoiler]why does Bing Bong apparently steal Riley's memories? It never gets explained, and he even tries to escape when he's first caught red-handed.[/spoiler]

I just read the plot summary. Yeah, that's positively Jungian. :P

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on July 19, 2015, 04:55:53 AM

[spoiler]He is taking her memories and putting them in his bag - these are their memories together, the rocket sled, the cat, whatever. He still wants to go with Riley to the moon on their music powered rocket sled.

He represents our (ultimately futile?) attempt to hang onto our lost childhood. He isn't "stealing" them per se, he is trying to keep them from being relegated to long term storage (where he belongs, most likely) and eventual destruction.

It is really sad, actually, when you think about it.[/spoiler]
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

BvS:DoJ looks like shit.

Ant-Man was great. 

PDH!

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on July 19, 2015, 09:09:34 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 19, 2015, 04:55:53 AM

[spoiler]He is taking her memories and putting them in his bag - these are their memories together, the rocket sled, the cat, whatever. He still wants to go with Riley to the moon on their rocket sled.

He represents our (ultimately futile?) attempt to hang onto our lost childhood. He isn't "stealing" them per se, he is trying to keep them from being relegated to long term storage (where he belongs, most likely) and eventual destruction.

It is really sad, actually, when you think about it.[/spoiler]

Thanks didn't catch that. Yeah, that whole arc was very sad, easily my favorite part of the movie.

Are imaginary friends that much of a thing for small children? I never had one. But I had a brother.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2015, 04:45:43 PM
How good can it really be, with Adam Sandler in the lead? :contract:

Adam Sandler is perfect for the role he plays in it. 
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on July 18, 2015, 05:05:55 PM
About an 8/10, maybe 9/10.  It's probably my favorite PTA movie, not that post-Punch Drunk that's saying awfully much.

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Blow Out (1981).  If a man can have only one masterpiece, then I don't think Blow Out is De Palma's masterpiece.  But it's still as essentially perfect as anything he ever did.  (My girlfriend dislikes it, and between this and Dressed to Kill thinks BDP is sick. :(10/10

Cool World (1992).  Possessed of one of the lowest ratios of quality to budget of any film that was ever made, Bakshi's perverse folly is still worth watching every once in a while just to be reminded that--somehow--it was.  1/10

Life Partners (2014).  As I watch more of these Millennial coming-of-30 dramas, Frances Ha looks worse and worse, even though it's doing basically the same thing.  Largely sweet, funny if not in any special way, Life Partners stars Gillian Jacobs, which--in the absence of anything actively bad--is certainly enough for me to have been satisfied with my viewing experience.  6/10

The French Lieutenant's Woman (1982).  It is mostly a dully-scripted, boringly-made romantic melodrama set in turn of the 20th century England.  Because the book it is based on is one of those postmodernist classics, it is, also, a somewhat livelier romantic melodrama set in 1982, featuring the actors playing the parts in a film production of The French Lieutenant's Woman.  Each story steals power the other, leaving both wan and undernourished; or, you could say that the present-day section adds 30 minutes of unnecessary runtime, destroying any chance that the schematic Victorian romance might be the remotest bit entertaining.  It's pretentious and stupid, it's also never really terrible or anything.  However, it fails to justify its right to exist.  I understand the book is much better, but everything good about it is bound up in the formal attributes of its medium. 4/10
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

I'm looking forward the Affleck-directed Batman flick that was announced the other day. That said, all the action/suspense bits in Argo were pretty clumsy.