News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

El Infierno (2010)

A man is deported back to Mexico after living for 20 years in the United States.  Upon returning he discovers that his home town has become a war zone between rival cartels.  He hooks up with his brother's gorgeous and expensive widow and gets dragged into the world of crime and violence.  While this should be a paint-by-numbers mafia movie; the wackiness that is Mexico turns it into a wonderful dark comedy.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Speaking of recycled material, what are Languish' expectations on the all-female Ghostbusters flick?

I'm coming round to it, I admit.  :blush:

Syt

From Wiki:

QuoteChris Hemsworth as Kevin, the Ghostbusters' receptionist
:lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

It's like that episode in Red Dwarf where they go to a reversed gender universe.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2015, 06:04:36 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2015, 05:46:01 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 11, 2015, 05:42:11 AM
Shockingly good sets and effects for MTV, and for the Shannara series... what the heck? :blink:

https://youtu.be/crjkQHnDYu0

Never read the books. Is this something worth hyping oneself for?
The books had some neat ideas, but it's one of those series you read when you're 12-14 and then forget about.

Obviously they're trying to see if they capitalize on the Game of Thrones idea.  It looks like a pretty good attempt...or at least I hope it is.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 11, 2015, 12:10:58 PM
Shockingly good sets and effects for MTV, and for the Shannara series... what the heck? :blink:

The books had some neat ideas, but it's one of those series you read when you're 12-14 and then forget about.

Obviously they're trying to see if they capitalize on the Game of Thrones idea.  It looks like a pretty good attempt...or at least I hope it is.

Though if that were the case, makes me wonder why someone isn't doing the Wheel of Time or maybe some of David Eddings' stuff.

celedhring

Decided to give Wayward Pines another shot. Sadly, the most disturbing thing I can find in it is the fact that in the Spanish dub they gave Terrence Howard the same voice actor as Cuba Gooding Jr.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2015, 10:42:27 AM
Speaking of recycled material, what are Languish' expectations on the all-female Ghostbusters flick?

I'm fine with the cast, but I didn't like Bridesmaids and didn't like, in particular, how Bridesmaids was directed, and have therefore avoided The Heat and Spy--which I understand have the exact same pacing and timing problems as Bridesmaids, except maybe worse.

It might work okay for a Ghostbusters sequel; the original, after all, is propped up as much or more on its concepts and effects as it is Bill Murray reacting laconically to things.  I'm still not terribly excited, as the consensus seems to be that the genre components of The Heat and Spy are a little threadbare and dull.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on July 11, 2015, 04:13:03 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2015, 10:42:27 AM

I'm fine with the cast, but I didn't like Bridesmaids and didn't like, in particular, how Bridesmaids was directed, and have therefore avoided The Heat and Spy--which I understand have the exact same pacing and timing problems as Bridesmaids, except maybe worse.

It might work okay for a Ghostbusters sequel; the original, after all, is propped up as much or more on its concepts and effects as it is Bill Murray reacting laconically to things.  I'm still not terribly excited, as the consensus seems to be that the genre components of The Heat and Spy are a little threadbare and dull.

Yeah, my major reservation is that I haven't dug Paul Feig's work so far. I haven't seen Spy, though.

Josquius

Given past 80s movie remakes....
:ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Yuk. Remakes with women.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Sons of Liberty.

I have learned a thing or two about the American Revolution, it's beginning.  Namely that in Boston, be it July or December, you were the exact same clothes and there's totally no snow at allin that last month.  Andthey have some nice, very well maintained forests too.  You'd swear someone used modern equipment&techniques to clean cut the forest between Boston and Lexington.  Probably so you could easily spot the Red Coats marching through the woods.
Also, Sam Adams was a gang leader intent on making a profit by smuggling things with John Hancock which pushed the both of them toward revolution when the governor stopped accepting bribes.

Ah, yes, Gage.  Just as he was historically.  In Trois-Rivières and Quebec city.

So, all in all, 5% truth, 95% fiction from what I gather.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Fury.  That was kind of goofy.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 11, 2015, 12:14:41 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 11, 2015, 12:10:58 PM

Though if that were the case, makes me wonder why someone isn't doing the Wheel of Time or maybe some of David Eddings' stuff.
There was a pilot releaed fro the Wheel of Time back around New Year's.  It was just to retain movie rights.

The new Ghostbusters sounds fucking stupid. And won't be as funny as the Red Dwarf.  Because it'll be horrible.  HORRIBLE.
PDH!