News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2015, 02:58:32 PM
There are probably a lot of gay slang terms unknown to people who never hear them.

I think of the ones often used this one is still the most hermetic. I mean the mainstream knows bear, silver fox, twink and sugar daddy by now.

lustindarkness

Glad I'm not mainstream then.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2015, 03:22:35 PM
There are probably a lot of gay slang terms unknown to people who never hear them.

I think of the ones often used this one is still the most hermetic. I mean the mainstream knows bear, silver fox, twink and sugar daddy by now.

Interesting. Aside from sugar daddy/mommy (which is the same straight or gay), I can't off the top think of similar terms in the straight world.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2015, 03:25:29 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2015, 03:22:35 PM

Interesting. Aside from sugar daddy/mommy (which is the same straight or gay), I can't off the top think of similar terms in the straight world.

You have terms like cougar though which is a female silver fox.

Martinus

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2015, 04:59:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2015, 04:52:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2015, 04:42:23 AM
There's a Galaxy Quest series in the works. I love the movie, but I'm not sure you can stretch the joke to 22 episodes.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/galaxy-quest-series-paramount-television-1201413544/

:bleeding:

Screw that - they need to get going on another Star Trek series. :mad:

The only way I can see it working is if they don't dwell too much in the "they are only actors!" shtick and it ends up being a more lighthearted version of Star Trek.

Or maybe not.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2015, 03:27:15 PM

You have terms like cougar though.

That's a good example.

I was thinking more of stuff that describes a physical type, like "bear" or "otter".

The straight ones for women seem to mostly describe their age and sexual attractions/proclivities: like "MILF" or "cougar" (older women who are attractive to younger men, and older women who are attracted to younger men, respectively).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Well, I've seen "beached whale" used to describe women albeit that is not as flattering as "bear".

Perhaps gays are more embracing of their physique. :P

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2015, 03:33:30 PM
Well, I've seen "beached whale" used to describe women albeit that is not as flattering as "bear".

The more flattering internet term is BBW (big beautiful woman) or BHM (big handsome man).

I think "bear" is more than just about size though - doesn't it imply a certain hairiness and overt masculinity?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Hairiness, yes. There are some very camp bears. They tend to be lovely as a group.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2015, 03:39:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2015, 03:33:30 PM

The more flattering internet term is BBW (big beautiful woman) or BHM (big handsome man).

I think "bear" is more than just about size though - doesn't it imply a certain hairiness and overt masculinity?

Hairiness, yes. Overt masculinity, not really - some bears are pretty effeminate.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2015, 03:41:06 PM
Hairiness, yes. There are some very camp bears. They tend to be lovely as a group.

Sheilbh put it better. :P

Barrister

I stand corrected by those whose knowledge of gay slang I would not dare to question. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2015, 03:32:24 PM
I was thinking more of stuff that describes a physical type, like "bear" or "otter".

"Spinner."

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2015, 03:43:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2015, 03:32:24 PM

"Spinner."

Also, I think it has more to do with the describer than the describee, if it makes sense. Guys are naturally more looks oriented so I think (or at least assume) straight men have some words to describe women's looks.