News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Apparently, the BBC is going to re-make Watership Down with CGI. Somehow, I doubt this will be a big improvement on the 1970s movie version.  :hmm:

Edit: linky http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-10/why-would-you-put-another-generation-through-the-trauma-of-watership-down
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Is that the version with the Soviet artwork and the single voice over?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2015, 09:27:33 AM
Is that the version with the Soviet artwork and the single voice over?

I don't think so. As far as I know there have only been two versions: (1) the movie; and (2) a TV series I haven't actually watched. I assume you are thinking of the latter, but I haven't seen it.

Here's someone who mixed parts of the movie to "Oh Death". Enjoy!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWYhlGdxmks
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Gabo and I watched Exodus Gods and Kings last night. Pretty decent film, visually awesome, main characters white and some obvious british accents, not exactly historical accurate and we refered to Moses as God's Ninja. But again, entertaining.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Apparently the Rock is going to be the male lead in the next Disney animated movie. :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Is it the Clements and Musker one, based on Polynesian mythology?  I'm so looking forward to that, but don't think it's out till 2017.  I love Clements and Musker--even if their last two movies weren't very good, they made the best Disney Renaissance films, and you can't take that away from them.  (I still haven't rewatched Great Mouse Detective, Tim, thanks for the reminder.)

Anyway, they're putting Lubitsch's Ninotchka out on blu-ray.  YES.  I kinda wish it were a Criterion edition, but at least it's cheaper.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2015, 01:04:44 AM
Is it the Clements and Musker one, based on Polynesian mythology?  I'm so looking forward to that, but don't think it's out till 2017.  I love Clements and Musker--even if their last two movies weren't very good, they made the best Disney Renaissance films, and you can't take that away from them.  (I still haven't rewatched Great Mouse Detective, Tim, thanks for the reminder.)

Anyway, they're putting Lubitsch's Ninotchka out on blu-ray.  YES.  I kinda wish it were a Criterion edition, but at least it's cheaper.
Yup, Moana
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on April 14, 2015, 09:48:17 PM
Revelation has already come out - it's a trippy little book that fringe wingnuts love for some reason.

It's the sequel, unoriginally called, the Second Coming, that has been stuck in development hell for centuries.

Well, the series had its ups and downs.

I mean, while the main story was a great success with the mainstream audience, it was completely rejected by the devoted prequel purist fandom, who thought that the extensive character development and darker, more realistic portrayal of the main protagonist was completely abandoned in favour of some Hollywood-esque black-and-white portrayal of his son.

Then with Revelations the series completely jumped the shark and was allegedly written while on drugs.

The Second Coming is largely a fan-based crowd funded exercise, with many different groups of fans starting their own kickstarter accounts.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2015, 01:06:44 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 16, 2015, 01:04:44 AM

Yup, Moana

Bitchin'.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

The Great Mouse Detective was my favorite Disney movie when I was a child; I absolutely tortured my parents with it. Haven't seen it since the 1980s, not sure if I should.

But yeah, Clements and Musker are pretty solid. Even Treasure Planet and the Princess and the Frog have interesting ideas behind them, even if they don't work.

celedhring

Ide might like this; Matthew Vaughn in talks to direct a new Flash Gordon movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matthew-vaughn-talks-direct-flash-788921

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2015, 03:16:41 AM
The Great Mouse Detective was my favorite Disney movie when I was a child; I absolutely tortured my parents with it. Haven't seen it since the 1980s, not sure if I should.

But yeah, Clements and Musker are pretty solid. Even Treasure Planet and the Princess and the Frog have interesting ideas behind them, even if they don't work.

Had a marvelous strip-tease sequence. Plus drug reference.   ;)

frunk

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness, a documentary on Studio Ghibli.  It focuses mainly on Hayao Miayazaki and his work on The Wind Rises.

Isao Takahata is kind of treated like the crazy hermit which the rest of Ghibli was waiting to come down from the mountain with a movie (The Tale of Princess Kaguya).  Pretty laid back overall, nothing that ground breaking for anybody that knows much about Ghibli.  Except....

[spoiler]this spoiler is here to annoy Martinus[/spoiler]

viper37

Sicario will be the new Denis Villeneuve movie, coming out this fall.  It's about a FBI agent (Emily Blunt) recruted from Tucson Swat team in a cross border operation to aprehend a mexican drug lord.  Seems interesting.  I can't wait to see what Villeneuve will do with an interesting script :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

I'm kind of looking forward to the new Terminator movie. I like that series. Ahnold will be in it and Emilia Clarke, Danaerys from Game of Thrones.