News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2015, 04:35:53 PM
Yes but then again the old fashioned British principles are assholish (not that it is a bad thing) so this fits with my theory. :P
I disagree :P

On the humour I think a lot of it actually stems from our own social unease. If we were happy and comfortable in our own skin our like back-slapping, handsy Continental brethren (particularly Latin continentals <_<) I don't think we'd find that stuff so funny. As it is it's like scratching an itch.

See also: every single facet of British life :P
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

The Fifth Element: not about boron.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Short Circuit.

80's Ally Sheedy is a hottie (though her character here is rather annoying).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 10, 2015, 09:49:20 PM
Short Circuit.

80's Ally Sheedy is a hottie (though her character here is rather annoying).

Did you see the Hill Street Blues episode where she played the hard jailbait?

Greatest single line in all of TV history:

Neal says to Larue: "I got three words for you.  Statue.  Tory.  Rape."

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2015, 05:02:44 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2015, 04:35:53 PM
Yes but then again the old fashioned British principles are assholish (not that it is a bad thing) so this fits with my theory. :P
I disagree :P

On the humour I think a lot of it actually stems from our own social unease. If we were happy and comfortable in our own skin our like back-slapping, handsy Continental brethren (particularly Latin continentals <_<) I don't think we'd find that stuff so funny. As it is it's like scratching an itch.

See also: every single facet of British life :P

Maybe I wasn't making myself clear. I didn't say Brits are the type of assholes that find Black Mirror funny.

I may be off, but I think Brits (more than many other nations, with the possible exception of Germans) are the type of assholes that are slightly puritanical (especially with work ethics), ambitious, driven, sarcastic, critical and having difficulty expressing their emotions. The whole "stiff upper lip" thing or Alan Turing as portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch in "Imitation Game". Or John Cleese's personality.

I think you need stronger stimuli to get through to people like this than to sentimental "wearing heart on the sleeve" people like Italians or the Irish (or Polish).

jimmy olsen

:o  So much hate for Kingsman, what is wrong with you Ide!  :mad:

http://kinemalogue.blogspot.kr/2015/02/brad-pitt-ate-my-sandwich.html?m=1

Edit : After finishing the 2nd half of the review, what a bait and switch.  You could at least keep consistent within the same review.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

QuoteThere are so many "worsts" you could throw out when discussing Kingsman it's hard to even know where to start, so why not start where the movie does, with the worst opening credits of the year, the decade, the century, or—possibly—of all film history

QuoteGrade:  A

:face:

Nah, I agree with the jist of the review, if not on every single particular. Kingsman is a great joyful mess.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2015, 01:09:17 AM
I may be off, but I think Brits (more than many other nations, with the possible exception of Germans) are the type of assholes that are slightly puritanical (especially with work ethics), ambitious, driven, sarcastic, critical and having difficulty expressing their emotions. The whole "stiff upper lip" thing or Alan Turing as portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch in "Imitation Game". Or John Cleese's personality.
I think Cumberbatch is playing Turing as slightly on the spectrum, not just as British :P

I see what you mean but I'd disagree. Those seem like more American or as you say German traits - in my biased, subjective opinion.

I think maybe your your sample includes too many British lawyers in Magic Circle firms you've worked with, which is a niche set. We really don't have a puritanical work ethic and I'm not sure about ambitious or driven either, maybe they're more common personality traits here. But to generalise I think British people are quite lazy but can work exceptionally hard if, for example, by doing so they can get out the office at five thirty on a Friday night. But we're miles behind, say, our impressions of the Germans or the Americans :lol:

Also we're generally in day to day life very bad at criticism. Dealing with especially North Europeans like the Dutch or the Germans it's always amazing how direct they are in criticism. We don't do that, I think British people probably are very critical but we're moaners rather than directly critical. Take restaurants, I've never complained in a restaurant. I don't know many people who have. I think it would be mortifying so I'll eat the dreadful, possibly norovirus infested food and says 'it's fine thank you' rather than complain. If you're ever eating with someone who sends something back they're always seen as somehow terribly brave for doing that. However if I have a bad meal then I will be telling everyone I know about that for months. Hell if you turn it into a good enough anecdote that sort of story can last a lifetime.

Now I'm not saying we're not assholes. But I think maybe we're assholes in a different way :P
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Sheilbh, have you seen Kingsman? I would love to hear your take on it, particularly given the commentary on the British class system. Ultimately, the film's about a charver that manages to rise and become an upper class twit.  :hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2015, 09:49:44 AMAlso we're generally in day to day life very bad at criticism. Dealing with especially North Europeans like the Dutch or the Germans it's always amazing how direct they are in criticism. We don't do that, I think British people probably are very critical but we're moaners rather than directly critical.

:P

Martinus

"What We Do In the Shadows" is actually pretty funny. :D

Martinus

Oh, it actually got 96% at Rotten Tomatoes.  :huh:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (Disney version). This is one of the few 90s Disney musicals I had yet to see (Mulan being the other); it is surprisingly decent. It's inevitable that they sanitize the Hugo story to make it palatable as a kiddie film, but it remains pretty dark, and the obsessive sexual lust Esmeralda inspires in all characters is still a salient theme. I also appreciate that they keep it real and the hot girl ends up with the hunk and not Quasimodo in some "she sees the real beauty in him" Shrek bollocks.

Eddie Teach

In the book she ends up with Quasimodo.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?