Started watching Black Mirror. This shit is good.  :cool:
A favourite. Glad you're enjoying it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2015, 02:18:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2015, 01:51:22 PM
Started watching Black Mirror. This shit is good.  :cool:
A favourite. Glad you're enjoying it.
It has this sense of old style/British tv which had a thoughtful message.

Martinus

I think modern cinema/tv shirks away from being a "moral play" for being too trite/heavy handed. I think Black Mirror is unique is that it attempts it - and succeeds.

celedhring

National Lampoon's Vacation. Hey, that was actually pretty great. And I have never liked Chevy Chase much outside of Community. I have always avoided National Lampoon films like the plague, this is the first actually good one I have watched besides Animal House.

Also, I totally can relate to the disaster family vacation theme, which I guess is part of the charm of the film.

Admiral Yi

Have you seen Animal House?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2015, 03:19:00 PM
Have you seen Animal House?

Quote from: celedhring on April 10, 2015, 03:01:15 PM
National Lampoon's Vacation. Hey, that was actually pretty great. And I have never liked Chevy Chase much outside of Community. I have always avoided National Lampoon films like the plague, this is the first actually good one I have watched besides Animal House.

Also, I totally can relate to the disaster family vacation theme, which I guess is part of the charm of the film.

Eddie Teach

Why won't you answer the question? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Although, I gotta say, after watching two episodes of Black Mirror in the row - this shit is dark. It is not for binge watching.

Edit: And by dark I mean it gets to you. "Dexter" or "Hannibal" are not dark as they are not even close to your reality. "Black Mirror" is - it hits very close to home. Uncomfortably so.  <_<

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2015, 03:40:33 PM
Although, I gotta say, after watching two episodes of Black Mirror in the row - this shit is dark. It is not for binge watching.

Edit: And by dark I mean it gets to you. "Dexter" or "Hannibal" are not dark as they are not even close to your reality. "Black Mirror" is - it hits very close to home. Uncomfortably so.  <_<

I really think one needs to either be a masochist or lack empathy to enjoy that show. It's quite bleak.

Martinus

I think it's the opposite (on the empathy side). I only watched two episodes, and it already made me rethink how I treat people in my life.

But then again, maybe it's different for people who are not natural born assholes. :unsure:

Eddie Teach

I don't think you necessarily have to "enjoy" the show to be getting something out of it.

And like you said, it made you uncomfortable. Only masochists enjoy discomfort.

Martinus

I don't mean I enjoyed it. I meant it made me think. But as I said, I am an asshole in life (it comes naturally and largely unwittingly to me) so maybe I need stronger stimuli to ponder human condition. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2015, 04:00:46 PM
And like you said, it made you uncomfortable. Only masochists enjoy discomfort.
Also Brits. 90% of our comedy is about uncomfortable, horrifying social situations after all.

And I think the streak of humour, especially in the first episode, in Black Mirror is very helpful to enjoying it. But you're both right. It's a show that I love when it's on, but I'm very glad it's on weekly so, when it's finished, I can turn the TV off and quietly contemplate things :lol:

QuoteI think modern cinema/tv shirks away from being a "moral play" for being too trite/heavy handed. I think Black Mirror is unique is that it attempts it - and succeeds.
I think we're afraid of morality and 'moralism' because we associate it purely with a sort of censorious priggishness. Which is true and a risk, but moralism produces outrage and the best satire is motivated by a searing outrage.

Instead we get smothered with sentimentalism :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Yes but then again the old fashioned British principles are assholish (not that it is a bad thing) so this fits with my theory. :P