News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 04:07:37 AM
That was my problem with the ending, but I let it go.  I haven't seen all of them, but it's gotta be the best animated feature since Tangled.

Yeah, it's not been a particularly great time for American animation, creatively speaking. Pixar has been in a bit of a downturn and nobody seems to be picking the slack.

Ideologue

I get the feeling that if Dean DuBlois' original plans for How to Train Your Dragon 2 hadn't been interrupted, it would've been just straight-up amazing, rather than the technically superb but cynical thing that got made.

Frozen being the billion-dollar winner and Tangled being relegated to the pile of merely good Disney movies burns my pants, though.  They owe Idina Menzel like 100 million clams.

But regarding Pixar, I really dug Monsters University.  I like how it's the one kid's movie ever made that says--albeit in the gentlest possible way--trying hard alone doesn't make you a winner.  I wish it'd been a bigger thing: it could've been the cleansing fire to melt the next generation's special snowflakes.

Now, Chris Sanders' Croods sucks, no matter what Tim sez.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Shit, and I still need to see:

Boxtrolls (I expect it rules)
Book of Life (I expect it's fine)
Mr. Peabody and Sherman (I've actually heard good things, and it has Patrick Warburton, but blind fandom for Warburton has burned me before, very badly--Kronk's New Groove :x)
and
Big Hero 6 (I expect it's fine)

Like Sheilbh, I feel a certain self-consciousness when going to go see animated features by myself.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

No, you don't need to. It's not as if you make a living out of it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 02:22:50 AM

Now, Bob le Flambeur isn't, and that's been sitting in my house for maybe... 70 days?  What's worse is that I know they don't have a lot of copies of it, so I'm probably dicking some French movie enthusiast out of his disc. :(

Now that's some interesting French noir by Melville. Seminal work I'd say.  :)

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on December 12, 2014, 05:08:59 AM
No, you don't need to. It's not as if you make a living out of it.

Do you make a living out of your hobby of making asinine comments?
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on December 12, 2014, 04:28:22 AM
Shit, and I still need to see:

Boxtrolls (I expect it rules)
Book of Life (I expect it's fine)
Mr. Peabody and Sherman (I've actually heard good things, and it has Patrick Warburton, but blind fandom for Warburton has burned me before, very badly--Kronk's New Groove :x)
and
Big Hero 6 (I expect it's fine)

Like Sheilbh, I feel a certain self-consciousness when going to go see animated features by myself.

I saw Book of Life and Mr. Peabody, because I have a kid of the right age - of the two, I preferred Book of Life. I thought it was a very innovative use of animation.

Mr. Peabody was merely okay.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

I was throughly bored by Big Hero 6. More importantly, the kids were too.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2014, 01:50:02 AM
Lego.  Good, but not as good as i was led to believe.  B/B+.

You listened to the wrong people. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Really liking the Flash. It seems more innocent than Gotham, but fun. And the queer quotient is higher (but that could be because the actor who plays Flash used to play a gay guy on Glee and they got Wentworth Miller).

Viking

Most of my attention span now is on Dan Carlin's History podcast, but when thinking about what TV I watch.

Agents of SHIELD and Gotham (mainly out of a feeling of obligation)
Constantine (Hoping it get's it's head of steam up before they cancel it)
Arrow ('cause it's ossum and the only show I wait until 3 am to pirate it rather than wait three weeks to watch it on TV)
Flash (being more and more optimistic as it keeps getting better)
The 100 (the second most ossum one it is a drama show that still doesn't need to manufacture it)
Revenge (The Count of Monte-Cristo with twitter on steroids, Think Emily VanCamp playing Batman)

Stuff I noticed about my schedule.

1. Nothing from Showtime or HBO. I've lost interest in Homeland, Nurse Jackie, Ray Donovan and Episodes. Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and True Detective aren't on.
2. The Network shows AoS (ABC), Gotham (Fox) and Constantine (NBC) I watch out of obligation as much as anything else.
3. The rest, and the ones I look forward to are either on The CW or belong there (Revenge which is on ABC)

So I need to know. Why do I like the stuff that's made for Justin Bieber fans? Does this mean the golden age of TV drama series is over?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

The Mad Max trailer has mesmerized me completely; I must have watched it a dozen times since it came out. It's completely bonkers, the good kind of bonkers. I hope the film is just a 90 minute long chase between people that have had way too much LSD punctuated by Verdi's Requiem. It's a glorious trailer.

lustindarkness

Quote from: celedhring on December 12, 2014, 03:15:44 PM
The Mad Max trailer has mesmerized me completely; I must have watched it a dozen times since it came out. It's completely bonkers, the good kind of bonkers. I hope the film is just a 90 minute long chase between people that have had way too much LSD punctuated by Verdi's Requiem. It's a glorious trailer.

:yes: Amen.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

Quote from: Viking on December 12, 2014, 03:04:08 PM
Most of my attention span now is on Dan Carlin's History podcast, but when thinking about what TV I watch.

Agents of SHIELD and Gotham (mainly out of a feeling of obligation)
Constantine (Hoping it get's it's head of steam up before they cancel it)
Arrow ('cause it's ossum and the only show I wait until 3 am to pirate it rather than wait three weeks to watch it on TV)
Flash (being more and more optimistic as it keeps getting better)
The 100 (the second most ossum one it is a drama show that still doesn't need to manufacture it)
Revenge (The Count of Monte-Cristo with twitter on steroids, Think Emily VanCamp playing Batman)

Stuff I noticed about my schedule.

1. Nothing from Showtime or HBO. I've lost interest in Homeland, Nurse Jackie, Ray Donovan and Episodes. Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and True Detective aren't on.
2. The Network shows AoS (ABC), Gotham (Fox) and Constantine (NBC) I watch out of obligation as much as anything else.
3. The rest, and the ones I look forward to are either on The CW or belong there (Revenge which is on ABC)

So I need to know. Why do I like the stuff that's made for Justin Bieber fans? Does this mean the golden age of TV drama series is over?
What's AoS?

The 100 is pretty good, not your average teen drama.  Constantine, I left after 2 shows, it got worst.
Gotham isn't for Bieber fans.
And I don't understand this "I watch out of obligation as much as anything else".  Someone is forcing you to watch bad tv?  You have family members in the cast/writers/staff?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on December 12, 2014, 03:15:44 PM

I'm LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS ONE.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".