News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on December 12, 2014, 05:18:47 PM
I saw the trailer for hot tub time machine 2, and kind of actually wanna see it.

I quite enjoyed the first one for what it was, but fail to see much room for a sequel. 

Quick googling suggests that now they go into the future, and that John Cusack isn't in it.  Not that I'm a Cusack fan, but when your biggest star doesn't return for the sequel it's not a good sign.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on December 12, 2014, 05:07:06 PM
Watched the first episode of Hell on Wheels: It pandered to every single Confederate stereotype, my inner Seedy rejected it on those grounds.

:lol: It actually gets better, man.

It's early, but I've been digging Peaky Blinders on Netflix, and I am glad the Brits gave it to us.  I think it's false to call it a Brit Boardwalk Empire, though.   

Josephus

Finally watched the final episode of Hell on Wheels. I wonder if that's it for the show...sort of running out of ideas now that they sort of settled in Cheyenne. I liked this season, though it meandered a lot around different story lines. Over all though definatley one of AMC's most under rated shows. Far better than Mad Men post season 3.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Quote from: Josephus on December 12, 2014, 05:57:42 PM
Finally watched the final episode of Hell on Wheels. I wonder if that's it for the show...sort of running out of ideas now that they sort of settled in Cheyenne. I liked this season, though it meandered a lot around different story lines. Over all though definatley one of AMC's most under rated shows. Far better than Mad Men post season 3.

One more season (5) it will have.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Mad Men's later seasons are vastly superior. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Solmyr

celedhring

Josephus

Quote from: Queequeg on December 12, 2014, 06:15:28 PM
Mad Men's later seasons are vastly superior.

Disagree. Found the first seasons interesting, but after the "set in the sixties" wore off, I found it was getting annoying.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: 11B4V on December 12, 2014, 05:22:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 12, 2014, 04:09:30 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 12, 2014, 03:04:08 PM
So I need to know. Why do I like the stuff that's made for Justin Bieber fans? Does this mean the golden age of TV drama series is over?

Seeing that you turn your nose up at quality shows like Hell on Wheels and Manhattan, I'd suggest it's a personal failing.  :P

And like I mentioned to Josq, it's fucking December. Everything's on hiatus so people can travel and watch crappy Christmas specials.

This is what I've been watching the last three months.

Watched the first episode of Hell on Wheels: It pandered to every single Confederate stereotype, my inner Seedy rejected it on those grounds. Plus, the revenge didn't feel as righteous as the count of montecristo like Revenge itself. The Hero was a bad guy in my mind, the whole show felt like it was written by Jubal Early.

Way off base and short sighted. You cant really determine the substance of a show let alone a  main character in one episode.

Well it is, in the absence of recommendations, that's precisely how I do decide what I want to watch. I watch one episode, the episode usually designed to show people what the show is about and who the characters are. I note you didn't give a recommendation. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

Mad men is doing better now but HoW was rating higher for season 1.

I find mad men to have way bigger ratings aura than its actual ratings.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Viking on December 12, 2014, 07:00:50 PM
So I need to know. Why do I like the stuff that's made for Justin Bieber fans? Does this mean the golden age of TV drama series is over?

Seeing that you turn your nose up at quality shows like Hell on Wheels and Manhattan, I'd suggest it's a personal failing.  :P

And like I mentioned to Josq, it's fucking December. Everything's on hiatus so people can travel and watch crappy Christmas specials.

Watched the first episode of Hell on Wheels: It pandered to every single Confederate stereotype, my inner Seedy rejected it on those grounds. Plus, the revenge didn't feel as righteous as the count of montecristo like Revenge itself. The Hero was a bad guy in my mind, the whole show felt like it was written by Jubal Early.

Way off base and short sighted. You cant really determine the substance of a show let alone a  main character in one episode.

Well it is, in the absence of recommendations, that's precisely how I do decide what I want to watch. I watch one episode, the episode usually designed to show people what the show is about and who the characters are. I note you didn't give a recommendation.

While I think you should stick with the show & go thru atleast season 1. I totally agree with you ep1 of HoW was a big load of revisionist racist bullshit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 12, 2014, 09:57:32 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 12, 2014, 07:00:50 PM

While I think you should stick with the show & go thru atleast season 1. I totally agree with you ep1 of HoW was a big load of revisionist racist bullshit.

Guess I missed that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Wings of Desire. Young Hitler is an angel who wishes to be human so he can woo a trapeze artist and so people will hear him when he gives the order to invade Poland. It was awesome. Peter Falk plays himself, except that he is also a former angel and can sense the presence of other angels. Cool soundtrack, with cameos by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Crime and the City Solution. Also, the Berlin Wall.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Smart move to keep the actual order to invade Poland off screen.  Maintained a more empathetic vibe.