News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

LULZ

QuoteFor those who say network scheduling isn't a big deal anymore thanks to DVRs, we turn your attention to what happened Thursday night on ABC. In a very jarring transition, the adorable end of the annual special "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" segued into "Scandal," which happened to kick off with a very steamy sex scene.

On Monday, the watchdog group Parents Television Council unleashed an angry statement at ABC condemning the abrupt shift in kid-centric programming to a very much not age-appropriate scene. After all, families are known to gather around the cartoon every year and may not have anticipated that they needed to quickly change the channel.

"Shame on ABC for putting a peep show next to a playground," PTC President Tim Winter said. "In less than 26 seconds we were taken from the Peanuts pumpkin patch to a steamy 'Scandal' sex scene."

http://vimeo.com/110742069

Sure enough, "Great Pumpkin" ended at about 8:59 p.m. with Sally angrily storming off screen. Seconds later, we see Olivia Pope having a very graphic dream, reminiscing about sleeping with President Fitz (along with the other guy in her love triangle, Jake). It's all set to "Summer Breeze," and there are glimpses of lots of bare skin.

"Unless parents had the remote control in their hand, thumb on the button and aimed directly at the TV screen, they didn't have a chance," Winter vented. "Such a transition is grossly irresponsible by the network and entirely unfair for parents. ABC owes families an apology."

Some Twitter users also noticed the program switch but reacted more with amusement than with rage.

"The leap from Charlie Brown to the first scene of ," one user wrote. It was retweeted by "Scandal" creator Shonda Rhimes.

"Going from Charlie Brown to #Scandal. That's a tough transition get your kids away from the TV fast," one tweeted.

"The innocence of Charlie Brown followed by the naughty of #Scandal. Gotta love it :-)" another said.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Won't somebody think of the children!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josephus

Quote from: Scipio on November 05, 2014, 06:21:58 AM
Won't somebody think of the children!

When you're watching steamy sex scenes?

:huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

America clearly needs longer ad breaks between shows

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Gups on November 05, 2014, 07:57:12 AM
America clearly needs longer ad breaks between shows

They used to do that, until they realized ad breaks give people time to stop and think whether they really want to keep watching tv or wonder what's on the other channels. So now it's a minute or two long bit of the show ending followed immediately by the beginning of the new show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2014, 07:59:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2014, 05:54:13 PM
Hell, in "Old Man of the Mountain" they more than imply beastiality: you see a hippo-woman sobbing as she wheels her babies away from the rampaging "Old Man" - and they are clearly his offspring! (they have "old man" beards!)

Anyway, wasn't Betty originally a poodle?

I guess she was; I didn't know that:

It looks like I haven't seen any of her early cartoons.  I also learned she was based on Helen Kane, not, as I had thought, Clara Bow.

Check out "Mysterious Mose".  :blink:

The more I look at these things, the wierder they appear. Truly, masterpieces of surrealism.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 04, 2014, 04:43:50 PM
Viper, that's an awfully high bar. But there's a lot of room between "not quite as good as Game of Thrones" and "average".
well, not to me :)

It all depends if I have a reasonable expectations that a show can get better in the long run, wich I did for Agents of SHIELD, wich I didn't for Constantine.  I admit it is subjective.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2014, 07:07:16 PM
So the waitress from The Blob got me thinking: what do actors that don't get steady gigs do with their time.  Now, Candy Cane had more roles than I new about--for example she was in David Bowie Falls to Earth, but how about people like Fred Munster and Noonan from Caddy Shack?  What do they do for 20 years between jobs?
www.imdb.com

they usually get smaller roles here&there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Also, commercials. Google for Bryan Cranston commercials.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2014, 12:36:49 AM
LULZ

It is pretty awful that young children who presumably tuned in to see love and affection on display in "Scandal" might have been inadvertently exposed to the dysfunctional kids of Peanuts with their frightening psychological traumas and hang-ups.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

In honor of Día de Muertos, I watched: Santo y Blue Demon contra el Doctor Frankenstein (1974)

El Doctor Frankenstein with the help of his mind controlled giant, Golem, is out kidnapping nubile women and trying to transplant their brains.  All his experiments have been failures, so he turns the women into zombies and has them attack their loved ones; because he's evil.  He decides that he needs Santo  :ph34r: to become a mind controlled zombie like Golem and there's a whole lot of luchadoring that goes on.  The high point is at the end when, after Santo and Blue Demon foil El Doctor Frankenstein's nefarious scheme, El Doctor Frankenstein seeks revenge by challenging Santo to a wrestling match with a masked Golem.  Santo is unable to figure out that the masked seven foot tall black man is actually El Doctor Frankenstein's henchmen until it is almost too late.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2014, 11:43:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2014, 12:36:49 AM
LULZ

It is pretty awful that young children who presumably tuned in to see love and affection on display in "Scandal" might have been inadvertently exposed to the dysfunctional kids of Peanuts with their frightening psychological traumas and hang-ups.

I know, right?  Peanuts was the biggest pop culture collection of neurotics until Seinfeld.

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on November 05, 2014, 05:04:26 PM
In honor of Día de Muertos, I watched: Santo y Blue Demon contra el Doctor Frankenstein (1974)

El Doctor Frankenstein with the help of his mind controlled giant, Golem, is out kidnapping nubile women and trying to transplant their brains.  All his experiments have been failures, so he turns the women into zombies and has them attack their loved ones; because he's evil.  He decides that he needs Santo  :ph34r: to become a mind controlled zombie like Golem and there's a whole lot of luchadoring that goes on.  The high point is at the end when, after Santo and Blue Demon foil El Doctor Frankenstein's nefarious scheme, El Doctor Frankenstein seeks revenge by challenging Santo to a wrestling match with a masked Golem.  Santo is unable to figure out that the masked seven foot tall black man is actually El Doctor Frankenstein's henchmen until it is almost too late.

Truly a masterpiece of Mexican cinema.  :ph34r:

Malthus

Okay, this one is beyond fucking wierd.

"Bimbo's Initiation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFrBG4xyaF8

The plot: Mickey Mouse (?!) traps poor Bimbo in a sewer, where he is captured by a secret BDSM cult of shambling horrors wearing candles, who attempts to scare Bimbo into joining - with terrifyingly surreal death threats and disorientation (just like Scientology, really  :) ).

He refuses, despite being tormented by an automatic ass-slapping machine - until the BDSM cult reveals that its members include Betty Boop (with dog ears), who does a sexy dance (revealing that her arms have no bones - more like tentacles really) and demonstrates the sexual joys of ass-slapping, by slapping her own ass with gusto. He agrees to join and they slap each other's asses. At this point, all the cult members strip off their disguises to reveal - that they are all Betty Boop clones! The end.

:hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius