Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 02, 2014, 06:57:48 PM
It's October. Anyone got any horror movies lined up?

My Netflix queue is:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney version)
The Golem: and how he came into the world
Haxan: Witchcraft throughout the Ages
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (John Barrymore version)
Waxworks
Warning Shadows
The Cat and the Canary
The Man who Laughs

I just gotta be me   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Savonarola on October 02, 2014, 07:13:58 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 02, 2014, 06:57:48 PM
It's October. Anyone got any horror movies lined up?

My Netflix queue is:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney version)
The Golem: and how he came into the world
Haxan: Witchcraft throughout the Ages
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (John Barrymore version)
Waxworks
Warning Shadows
The Cat and the Canary
The Man who Laughs

I just gotta be me   :cool:
:cheers:  I've seen just about all those.  I'm a total silent movie junkie.  I can't remember if I've shared this link here before.  It's a bit old, so some of the links don't work, but the majority still do.  http://flavorwire.com/412888/20-of-the-greatest-silent-horror-films-you-can-watch-right-now
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ideologue

Did Phantom of the Opera
Next:
Cat and the Canary
The Man Who Laughs
Dracula
Frankenstein
Old Dark House
The Mummy
Murders in the Rue Morgue
and so forth

Also The Burning, Pieces, and My Bloody Valentine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 02, 2014, 08:08:26 PM
I'm a total silent movie junkie. 

When I was in high school, we attended a band competition in Virginia, pretty sure it was Richmond;  that evening they had us all in an event in an historic theater with a big screen presentation of Buster Keaton's "The General" with a full orchestral accompaniment.  It was very cool, even for a bunch of teenagers.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2014, 08:47:52 PM
I'm a total silent movie junkie. 

When I was in high school, we attended a band competition in Virginia, pretty sure it was Richmond;  that evening they had us all in an event in an historic theater with a big screen presentation of Buster Keaton's "The General" with a full orchestral accompaniment.  It was very cool, even for a bunch of teenagers.
Nice!  The closest I've come to that is at the New York State Fair they have a theater that shows silent movies with an old school organ that accompanies them.  It's pretty awesome.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Savonarola

:cheers:  I've seen just about all those.  I'm a total silent movie junkie.  I can't remember if I've shared this link here before.  It's a bit old, so some of the links don't work, but the majority still do.  http://flavorwire.com/412888/20-of-the-greatest-silent-horror-films-you-can-watch-right-now

I really want to see Victor Sjöström's Körkarlen from that list; but I'm concerned that the YouTube version is going to be terrible.  Unfortunately it isn't available on Netflix.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Haldane of the Secret Service (1923)

The great Harry Houdini directs, produces and stars in this tale of counterfeiters and Secret Servicemen.  Given the star it's not a question of what happens, but how many times does Houdini get tied up and left for dead?  [spoiler]Two[/spoiler].  This is an incredibly disappointing movie.

CountDeMoney

OK, so if Interview With The Vampire got claimed by the gays, the Twilight series got co-opted by tweener girls and their soccer moms and Bram Stoker's Dracula was the porridge that was just right for mainstream moviegoers, who is Dracula Untold going to disenfranchise, other than audiences?

garbon

Pretty sure Anne Rice just straight up made her vampires with gays in mind. I mean almost all of them are bisexual in some fashion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Doesn't mean you guys had to buy what she was selling.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 02, 2014, 10:27:44 PM
OK, so if Interview With The Vampire got claimed by the gays, the Twilight series got co-opted by tweener girls and their soccer moms and Bram Stoker's Dracula was the porridge that was just right for mainstream moviegoers, who is Dracula Untold going to disenfranchise, other than audiences?

Assburgers
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on October 02, 2014, 10:44:06 PM
Assburgers

I didn't see any Transformers in the trailer, though.

celedhring

They already made a Left Behind movie years ago, didn't they? With Kirk Cameron as protagonist and the UN Secretary being the Antichrist? Is this the same stupid shit?

Siege

Fuck the religion of piece.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"