News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

The 193x Ernest Schoedsack movie? Hey, it's on my list.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2014, 10:16:42 PM
This Is Where I Leave You

Meh, neither here nor there.

Shame,
Was looking forward to seeing that.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2014, 10:52:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2014, 10:16:42 PM
This Is Where I Leave You

Meh, neither here nor there.

Shame,
Was looking forward to seeing that.

I think Rotten Tomatoes only gave it 44%. Review that best summed it was that while it was okay, you would have expected something a lot more enjoyable/memorable from the people in that cast. Had funny moments and a few touching moments but otherwise entirely forgettable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Visages d'enfants (1925)

Jacques Feyder's melodrama about a blended family where the step-brother and step-sister engage in a sibling rivalry with near tragic results.  The film is well worth seeing for Feyder's panoramic views of the Swiss :swiss: countryside.  Otherwise the story is dull and plodding.

It's interesting how many well known French films deal with childhood.  The Red Balloon, L'Argent de Poche, 400 Blows, Zero de Conduite, Au Revoir Les Enfants and Poil de Carotte all come to mind.  I don't think I could name as many films from another country (except the United States) that has child protagonists.  It's also surprising how many of those films are aimed adults.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Red Balloon :wub:

Pretty sure it'll Hulu that has a lot of his stuff.

Josquius

Keith Lemon: The movie- of all the things to show up on netflix...and why did I watch it?
This guy actually used to be kind of funny. Before he was famous. Back when stalked and freaked out celebrities for a living....but then he dropped his one good character, his so-so character and went as his crappy character full time for a decade, hosting low grade celebrity game shows and such crap. This is a film about that character.
Not as terrible as all that sounds. But...yeah.

17 Again: High school kid gets his girlfriend pregnant and throws away his life and basketball career for her sake. Grows up to be Matthew Perry 20 years later who the girl then leaves.
Matthew Perry meets a wise old guy who decides to give Matthew Perry a second chance. Matthew Perry stops being Matthew Perry for most of the movie and becomes his young self. To be expected hilarity ensues as he tries to help his kids and make his wife fall for him again. So-so.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on September 30, 2014, 01:13:40 PM
17 Again: High school kid gets his girlfriend pregnant and throws away his life and basketball career for her sake. Grows up to be Matthew Perry 20 years later who the girl then leaves.
Matthew Perry meets a wise old guy he decides to give him a second chance. Mattew Perry stops being Matthew Perry for most of the movie and becomes his young self. To be expected hilarity ensues as he tries to help his kids and make his wife fall for him again. So-so.

Stupid and unbelievable premise.  Not the time travel, but actually repeating the same mistakes with the future Mrs. Ex-Stupid.

Ideologue

CDM is the happiest person on Languish, so his advice carries weight.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2014, 01:17:58 PM
CDM is the happiest person on Languish, so his advice carries weight.
Actually, of all people, I figured you'd at least wait to chime in after all the breeders did, because if there's anything that makes you more important as a human being than knocking somebody up, it's going back it time to save that precious little cargo that validates their existence over yours, regardless of how fucked up they raise the little shit.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on September 29, 2014, 07:12:57 PM
Leslie Howard's equation of his British accent with a Southern one doesn't work very well and works even less well once he stops even trying.  I never understood why Scarlett was so enamored with a personality-free geezer, either.  Dude was north of 45 and he's not terribly handsome.  Neither's Clark Gable, but at least he could rape you.

...Seriously, GWTW is fucked up.
I read it on the advice a girl I know who called it her favourite book ever.

Never quite looked at her the same way.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 30, 2014, 02:31:23 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 29, 2014, 07:12:57 PM
Leslie Howard's equation of his British accent with a Southern one doesn't work very well and works even less well once he stops even trying.  I never understood why Scarlett was so enamored with a personality-free geezer, either.  Dude was north of 45 and he's not terribly handsome.  Neither's Clark Gable, but at least he could rape you.

...Seriously, GWTW is fucked up.
I read it on the advice a girl I know who called it her favourite book ever.

Never quite looked at her the same way.

Was that when you became non-traditional?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on September 30, 2014, 12:24:28 PM
It's interesting how many well known French films deal with childhood.

Interesting indeed.  Had not considered that before.

The Brain

Totally interesting. Like Grallonesque and shit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

It's even more amazing when you consider the lack of movies about childhood in other foreign film genres.