News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

I started a free one month promo of Netflix now (they only came to Germany a week or two ago). Underwhelmed by the amount of movies on offer. Series look okay though, even if some well-known ones (e.g. GoT, Homeland) are missing.

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on September 28, 2014, 03:46:59 AM
I started a free one month promo of Netflix now (they only came to Germany a week or two ago). Underwhelmed by the amount of movies on offer. Series look okay though, even if some well-known ones (e.g. GoT, Homeland) are missing.

Will take time to build a library. In my experience it's a bit of a rights nightmare, with lots of stuff in the hands of local distributors and unclear contracts due to them not being drawn up with digital distribution in mind, etc...

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 27, 2014, 10:33:45 PM
The movie I posted about several times? <_<
Sorry. Hadn't seen those posts :blush:

But I add the Mark Simpson reminisce and the documentary.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

In honor of the twentieth anniversary of its release I watched Pulp Fiction again.   :cool:

I've seen a lot of Tarantino's influences since the movie came out.  I think I appreciate Bruce Willis's sweet Sonny Chiba style katana moves now more than I did in 1994.

It's still a breathtaking experience.  I think the only movie that I saw in the theater that was that exciting is "Star Wars" (and I was five when I saw that.)  Seeing this again I thought it was interesting that this was Tarantino's second film, just like Lucas and Star Wars.  Both movies changed cinema and neither director was able to live up to his breakthrough film.  (Of course Tarantino didn't make films as bad as "Howard the Duck" or "The Phantom Menace.")

When I saw Pulp Fiction I thought that the briefcase was supposed to contain gold or something golden based on the light that came out of it.  I'm curious what other people thought it contained when they first saw it.  (Of course it doesn't matter (unless you think it actually does contain Marsellus's soul :tinfoil:), the briefcase is just a McGuffin.)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on September 28, 2014, 08:39:23 AM
I'm curious what other people thought it contained when they first saw it.

The head of the alien from Repo Man.

Eddie Teach

celedhring

Fast Five. The least said the better. Weren't those supposed to be racing flicks?

It is, however, way better if you imagine all of Diesel's dialogue as "I AM GROOT".

Sheilbh

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.

Yeah. I don't know why either.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Super- Christian guy's wife runs off with a drug dealer. He decides to become a super hero. Like a far more gory and adult version of kick ass. With an awesome psycho Ellen page. Very good. Though I'm not sure I get the ending

I'm still here- I don't get it at all. Interesting stunt by the guy but... The final product is a bit.... Yeah....
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on September 28, 2014, 05:33:18 PM
I'm still here- I don't get it at all. Interesting stunt by the guy but... The final product is a bit.... Yeah....

Maybe he really has lost his mind and that's why he fell in love with a computer.  :hmm:

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 28, 2014, 12:43:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2014, 12:00:58 AM
The Killing

A case study in the difficulty of getting lightning to strike twice.

Another would be American Horror Story, though some people are still eating that shit up.

Yeah...liked season one of AHS, but it's gotten stupider since.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011