And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2014, 01:15:56 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2014, 01:11:29 PM
Captain America: Winter Soldier is awesome. Loved the 70s style conspiracy plot; the first one probably has more charm but this is easily the best Marvel sequel so far. I mean, superhero movies are not supposed to have actual interesting plots, with enigmas, investigation, twists and shit.

Loved the cameos of minor Cap characters like Zola or Batroc, too.

So now that you've seen it - you think this format would work for Punisher? ;)

It still has Cap facing helicarriers, superpowered cyborgs and organizations bent on world domination.

Unless Marvel starts doing smaller films - which doesn't seem to be their model right now, and they have little motivation to change it - I don't see Frank Castle fitting in one of their big budget films. TV series is more likely, imho.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2014, 07:30:34 AM
Dog Day Afternoon was on TV last night. It truly is one of the best films ever. It's just so perfectly timed, it doesn't waste half an hour at the start setting up the situation and the characters, it just jumps right into the bank robbery and then sorts that stuff out as it goes along.

There is a documentary that is going to be released soon (already??) about the real bank robber.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Already.  Dunno how available it is.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Is there a version of The Naked City that doesn't have the narration?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2014, 03:49:46 PM
Is there a version of The Naked City that doesn't have the narration?

Press Mute and turn on CC.  Lulz.

Ideologue

I actually checked but Hulu doesn't appear to have it captioned. :P
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

You out-derped me.  Drats.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2014, 04:12:56 PM

I bet you think the narration in The Killing is a real fucking coup, too.  Stanley Kubrick thinks you're a joke.

Quote from: SInsomnia.

Which'un.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2014, 04:19:16 PM

I bet you think the narration in The Killing is a real fucking coup, too.  Stanley Kubrick thinks you're a joke.

Sterling Hayden should punch you in front of a hospital.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2014, 04:34:14 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 16, 2014, 04:16:55 PM
Insomnia.

The Robin Williams one, or the good one?
The Robin Williams one.

And it's fine. If, as I do, you enjoy Al Pacino's later high-camp work.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2014, 04:36:39 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2014, 04:19:16 PM

Sterling Hayden should punch you in front of a hospital.

Edward G. Robinson should strangle you and blame his coworker for it.

Anyway, The Naked City (1948) is a pretty cool detective movie--Jules Dassin sure knows how to make a thrilling set-piece.  Unfortunately, it is all but made an abomination by producer Mark Hellinger's smug asshole of a narrator.  Just cutting out the narration--literally just removing it from the soundtrack--would make it a B+ or maybe even an A, and improve even the "daily routine" scenes it talks over, since Dassin (as you know or should know) is no slouch at more than adequately constructing scenes without dialogue.

B

Also Nolan's Insomnia is great.  Money's nuts.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 16, 2014, 06:07:07 PM
Also Nolan's Insomnia is great.  Money's nuts.

Exhibit #4,342 on why you suck donkey dick, and the attendant donkey balls, as a movie reviewer.

Ideologue

But imagine if it had smug narration.  It'd be great.
Kinemalogue