News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Sacrifice is just two hours and a half of an old guy walking around talking with God. But it's amazing  :wub:

Oh, and somehow there's a nuclear holocaust involved too.

Ivan's Boyhood is probably the best film to start with, yeah. Ultimately it's a war film; it follows (and subverts) one of the genre staples of the Soviet war films of the time: the valiant boy that works as a scout for a Soviet unit in WWII.

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on August 13, 2014, 03:42:52 PM
Eisenstein's sound films are laughably bad.  You have been warned.

He'll love Alexander Nevsky.

Duque de Bragança

Check also Tarkovsky's version of Hemingway's The Killers. You can find it on the Criterion DVD The Killers.
Even better place to start than Ivan's Boyhood. ;)
Stalker also involves nukes or some polluted zone as well.

celedhring

Stalker is about aliens landing on Earth, and leaving their junk behind in "zones" walled-off by the gub'mint because reality is warped inside them, and a lot of the alien devices are death traps. "Stalkers" are paid guides that help customers infiltrate the zones and scavenge those devices.

Now, it does sound like a kickass start point for a sci-fi thriller, but it's a pretty slow and philosophical movie. I think the average shot length is over a minute  :P  The book it adapts was pretty much like that, mind.

20 years later, some Ukes took the concept, switched aliens for Chernobyl, and created the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game franchise.

Tonitrus

"Death Trap" is no joke.  As I understand it, the shooting location ended up slowly killing off most of the cast.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2014, 06:04:41 PM
Stalker is about aliens landing on Earth, and leaving their junk behind in "zones" walled-off by the gub'mint because reality is warped inside them, and a lot of the alien devices are death traps. "Stalkers" are paid guides that help customers infiltrate the zones and scavenge those devices.

Now, it does sound like a kickass start point for a sci-fi thriller, but it's a pretty slow and philosophical movie. I think the average shot length is over a minute  :P  The book it adapts was pretty much like that, mind.

20 years later, some Ukes took the concept, switched aliens for Chernobyl, and created the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game franchise.

Well if the best special effects you have are sock puppets your really can't make much of a sci-fi thriller.  Soviet films made 1960's BBC look great.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on August 13, 2014, 03:43:48 AM
You'll also notice I only gave ONE MOVIE a B+.
I noticed you reviews two 2014 movies.  That seems strange.  Not as strange as if Sav did it, but still weird.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2014, 07:44:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 13, 2014, 03:43:48 AM
You'll also notice I only gave ONE MOVIE a B+.
I noticed you reviews two 2014 movies.  That seems strange.  Not as strange as if Sav did it, but still weird.

I review new movies all the time.  Did like 55 last year (watched 100), and have written like 25 this year so far.  I actually consider myself a little behind. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Anybody can tell me if Dominion is any good?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

So someone from Argentina looked at my Locke review and google-translated it into Spanish.  I started playing around with it just to refamiliarize myself a little with the language, because insomnia es el peor...

So, is the closest Spanish has to "fuck you" (as in "fuck you, Brian De Palma!") really "Look at the shit"?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on August 14, 2014, 01:16:02 AM
So someone from Argentina looked at my Locke review and google-translated it into Spanish.  I started playing around with it just to refamiliarize myself a little with the language, because insomnia es el peor...

So, is the closest Spanish has to "fuck you" (as in "fuck you, Brian De Palma!") really "Look at the shit"?

No idea about Argies, they have some pretty colorful cursing, but in Spanish we have a pretty direct equivalent "Jódete, Brian De Palma".

Ideologue

Neat.

Since apparently I can only sleep two hours at a time (I think I need to see a doctor :( ), I've been watching Red Vs. Blue Season 12.  It's really a return to form.  The overly complex plot is not as good as the previous overly complex plot from Seasons 6-8, but 1)it's ACTUALLY ABOUT the Reds and Blues, 2)it's really, really hilarious, and 3)it combines its action and humor well.  (2) and (3) means it's better than Season 11.  (1) means it's better than Season 9 and, for the most part, Season 10.

Running at an A, but since it's not over yet: I
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2014, 06:04:41 PM

The "zone" concept was bizzarely precient for Chernobyl.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on August 13, 2014, 04:22:09 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 13, 2014, 03:42:52 PM
Eisenstein's sound films are laughably bad.  You have been warned.

He'll love Alexander Nevsky.
Ivan the Terrible is legitimately one of the most interesting movies ever made. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tonitrus

The Gauntlet - starring Clint Eastwood.

Essentially a docudrama on inappropriate police procedures (e.g. indiscriminately pumping hundreds of thousands of rounds into houses/car/buses).