And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 11, 2014, 03:23:59 PM
Under the Dome is getting sillier by the hour

My youngest son was the only one still watching it but he gave up on it a few episodes into the new season and deleted it from the autorecord thingie.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 11, 2014, 03:16:30 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 08:06:02 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2014, 05:23:00 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2014, 11:18:02 AM
Captain America: The Winter Soldier. That was actually pretty good. 7.75/10.

On further thought, the action thriller plot, the stronger focus on physical effects vs. CGI overload (climax notwithstanding) give me hope that we might actually see a decent Punisher movie some day, now that the rights are back with Marvel. Hell, make it a TV series.

As much as I would love it to happen, Punisher doesn't lend itself well to the megabudget action extravaganzas that Marvel deals in. He's best when dealing with street-level crime, not supervillains. I hope they do something with him at one point, though, he's Marvel's non-pussy version of Batman.

So, an Arrow style TV show? If Marvel did Agents of SHIELD they're not alergic to the small screen.

Yeah, that would be my hope. Rumors about a Punisher TV show seem to surface regularly, so at least the idea's been entertained.

katmai

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 03:28:39 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 11, 2014, 03:16:30 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 08:06:02 AM

On further thought, the action thriller plot, the stronger focus on physical effects vs. CGI overload (climax notwithstanding) give me hope that we might actually see a decent Punisher movie some day, now that the rights are back with Marvel. Hell, make it a TV series.

As much as I would love it to happen, Punisher doesn't lend itself well to the megabudget action extravaganzas that Marvel deals in. He's best when dealing with street-level crime, not supervillains. I hope they do something with him at one point, though, he's Marvel's non-pussy version of Batman.

So, an Arrow style TV show? If Marvel did Agents of SHIELD they're not alergic to the small screen.

Yeah, that would be my hope. Rumors about a Punisher TV show seem to surface regularly, so at least the idea's been entertained.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the character surface in the netflix marvel shows.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 11, 2014, 03:26:34 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 11, 2014, 03:23:59 PM
Under the Dome is getting sillier by the hour

My youngest son was the only one still watching it but he gave up on it a few episodes into the new season and deleted it from the autorecord thingie.

Yeah...I got to that point this week.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

'Dartagnan's Daughter' - mildly diverting French comedy with the far more distracting Sophie Marceau.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

There is already a decent Punisher movie. The one with Dolph Lundgren.  :contract:
Theoretically, it could be improved I guess, but nowadays it would mean CGI über alles.

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 11, 2014, 08:28:35 PM
There is already a decent Punisher movie. The one with Dolph Lundgren.  :contract:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Hey, Ide gave that one a B+.

MadImmortalMan

Here's my review: The Private Life of Deer

Oh yes I went there. I watched it all.

There were an estimated one million deer in North America one hundred years ago. Today there are 30 million! Apparently in some areas they are very overpopulated and it is putting pressure on the habitat of other species! And their own! (Individually.)

Except for the smaller version of the deer called the Key Deer, which lives in the Florida Keys. they don't know if it got there from Florida or Cuba, but it likely got there during the ice age and shrunk to survive better. The Key Deer is endangered.

The white tails are used to signal other deer of danger. When the tail is down, the white part is folded into its ass. But when they flip up the tail, It's white! Deer need big white tails because their vision sucks and they can't see each other well. Also because the white flag is a signal to flee! I thought it was surrender, but now I know.

Rarely, some deer have a strange genetic mutation that makes them all white! These are called Ghost Deer. Apparently the whiteness comes from a complete lack of melanin in their bodies. Can you believe that?

Deer cross the street a lot. The filmmakers saw a school bus coming when they were watching the deer by the road and they were able to warn the driver. It's a good thing filmmakers are being vigilant making sure there are no deer accidents. Can you imagine if they weren't there?!

Sticking fake coyotes in your yard will not keep the deer away. They are very adaptable and will not be fooled. They will walk right up to the fake coyotes and sniff and lick them to investigate. That strategy might appear unsound to you in case they coyotes happened to not be fake, but remember the deer are adaptable. They know all about plastic and cardboard by now! In the film, nobody tried hanging a coyote pelt on the fake coyote, but I bet the deer would know it was still fake. Also, no animals were harmed making The Private Life of Deer. Not coyotes and definitely not the huge swarms of deer.

One deer was found in a lady's back yard in New Jersey and they nursed it back to health with an IV bottle! The deer's name was Blossom! She would repeatedly come back to visit and sometimes bring wild friends, because I suppose they were hungry, what with all the deer around eating all the bushes. They put a bright orange collar on her so people would know not to hurt her. Then they put signs with her picture all over the place so people would recognize her. I don't know if they tipped off the coyotes with this behavior. Blossom stopped coming back after a while.

Thank you PBS for this incredible material.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2014, 05:52:53 AM
What were you on? :unsure:

Do those Lyme Disease drugs have side effects?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Duque de Bragança

Bridge of Dragons (1999) was on TV late at night and not even announced on the TV program  :mad:

Dolph Lundgren + Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa = so bad-it's-good action movie
A bit like a fairy tale (princess-warrior-warlord), except it was shot in Bulgaria by Nu Image pictures (their first movie!) with whatever mismatched uniforms and "military"hardware they could afford so most of the times it's a mess.
Expect lots of bad stunt work, cheap effects and explosions and very cheap gunfight choreography trying to pass as John Woo's HK style. Thankfully low on CGI and not at all boring, as it should be :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 12, 2014, 03:13:40 AM
Thank you PBS for this incredible material.

It's viewers like you.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."