News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on August 09, 2014, 08:35:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 09, 2014, 06:10:52 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 09, 2014, 05:13:04 PM
Given that it doesn't exist, no. :unsure:  Unless you mean watching someone play the 1992 video game, in which case it would depend, but also probably no.

You know what I meant; apparently it's called 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time'

That's not a sequel, it's the original film.  It just has a subtitle for... reasons, I guess, probably marketing synergies with the game.  All kidding aside, I actually did not know what you meant.  I thought you'd accidentally uttered the title, but meant some other franchise. :)  I've never seen it, but Disney is very hit or miss with their live action fantasy properties.  But Tron: Legacy and John Carter are great.  It could be alright.

Yi: indeed, American Hustle sucks.  I told ya.  It was my no. 74 out of 100 for 2013.  How was it nominated for an Oscar?  Five words and a letter: David O. Russell/Jennifer Lawrence fever.  The Academy is pathetic.

I didn't like American Hustle much, besides the hot chicks. It's painfully and unnecessarily slow, and way too pretentious given the con storyline would be pretty engaging by itself, without all the pseudo-artsy padding.

Prince of Persia is one of the least terrible videogame adaptations, which is saying very little. I'd say it's comparable to your run of the mill forgettable action blockbuster.

Josquius

Immortals- what a mess. They jump around from place to place in the desert that is Greece without the viewer being too aware of what is going on. The villain speaks with a rasp that makes Bane seem well enunciated. Plot threads trail off without resolution. Even the battle scenes are rather underwhelming.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on August 10, 2014, 05:01:28 AM
Immortals- what a mess. They jump around from place to place in the desert that is Greece without the viewer being too aware of what is going on. The villain speaks with a rasp that makes Bane seem well enunciated. Plot threads trail off without resolution. Even the battle scenes are rather underwhelming.

I'm waiting for the Iranian Film Industry to make a response to "300" of just that name.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. That was actually pretty good. 7.75/10.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Guardians of the Galaxy. Very enjoyable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

The cable at my parent's carries Al-Jazeera America.

Weird as it may be, after watching it a bit, I am just about ready to say it the most balanced, comprehensive, and insightful all-news channel on U.S. American TV these days.

Though that is probably mostly aided by how banal CNN/MSNBC/Fox have become these days.  That bar is definitely pretty low.

crazy canuck

Guardians of the Galaxy is good fun.  Worth the price of admission.

I saw About Time on the movie channel.  I hadn't heard of it before but it is very good.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2014, 09:36:50 PM

Weird as it may be, after watching it a bit, I am just about ready to say it the most balanced, comprehensive, and insightful all-news channel on U.S. American TV these days.

Though that is probably mostly aided by how banal CNN/MSNBC/Fox have become these days.  That bar is definitely pretty low.

I blocked it on my TV. Along with the Chinese channel and MSNBC.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2014, 09:36:50 PM

They're pretty good, yeah;  up there with the BBC.  But it sounds all terroristy and whatnot.

Tonitrus

For bring owned by Qatari  Islamo-fascists, it's amazingly western-oriented.

Admiral Yi

I suspect their English and Arabic versions carry a different editorial line.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2014, 10:40:58 PM
I suspect their English and Arabic versions carry a different editorial line.

They do.

English is a BBC like lefty, liberal and progressive wannabe with a desire to be objective.
Arabic is the channel of the Muslim Brotherhood like Fox is the channel of the Tea Party.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

British TV has both the English and Arabic versions for some reason. 
It's odd that our only non-native language channel is in a language not many of our minorities speak
██████
██████
██████