News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman. Pretty silly movie, even by 1950s standards.

Rating: easy grounder to shortstop, hit off his glove, ruled an error. Barely beat throw to first.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The Avengers - Age of Ultron poster from Comic Con. At top left, is that Vision? Hawkeye looks goofy. Apparently, Ultron gets a new origin (Hank Pym is not involved). I wonder if they'll include the incest plot between Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2014, 08:31:17 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 02, 2014, 07:10:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 02, 2014, 03:41:18 PM

The Devils, which I'd really like to see, doesn't seem to be available via Netflix, or any which way short of straight up buying a DVD for like $13.  Pass.

I've a copy I could send you.  :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Does it involve teh Internetz?

No planes, trains and buses, UPS wheeled cart.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on August 03, 2014, 05:20:21 AM

The Devils, which I'd really like to see, doesn't seem to be available via Netflix, or any which way short of straight up buying a DVD for like $13.  Pass.

planes, trains and buses, UPS wheeled cart automobiles

good movie
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on August 03, 2014, 05:20:21 AM

Transatlantic shipments and us don't have a great history. :(  And I don't wish to trouble you.  I dunno, maybe.  In any event, I already went and ahead wrote my Altered States piece, supposing that my previous background and my toleration of White Worm and Salome was enough. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

New Robocop- Surprisingly so-so, they managed to make it a little bit modern. I'm really not saying it was good. But I expected one of the worst things ever rather than mediocrity.

Captain America, Winter Soldier- Continues where the second half of the original film left off. i.e. its not very good.  It was strange to see Black Widow with such a prominent role. It was less of a Captain America film and more of a general Shield film. It's odd really, it has super heroes at the core but tries to go a bit Borne Identity with them and deals oh so much with their feelings.

Expendables- I've somehow avoided seeing this until now. It is fun. I expected a cheesy 80s style action film but...not to this extent. Even outside of the action they really go all out for the super cheese. It made me smile.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on August 03, 2014, 02:31:19 PM
Expendables- I've somehow avoided seeing this until now. It is fun. I expected a cheesy 80s style action film but...not to this extent. Even outside of the action they really go all out for the super cheese. It made me smile.

Yeah, the first one was pretty good. The second one went straight into self parody. It was still good, though, despite having to roll my eyes a lot at the movie.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Speaking of Sean Bean, he's got a new show coming on this month:

http://www.tntdrama.com/videos/legends/season-1/extras/846113/how-do-i-find-myself.html

Pros:  gratuitous product placement for H&K, which quite frankly, never gets enough screen time for the USP.
Cons:  he's an "operative" for the FBI.  Totally unrealistic, as that would involve overtime.

frunk

I concur on the praise for Guardians of the Galaxy.  Great entertainment, only marred by some clumsy scenes where characters blurt out information that they really wouldn't have any reason to.

Ideologue

Didn't realize Snowpiercer (2014) was available for VOD rental until the other day.  Offering lovely production design, frankly only adequate action, and radical, vague ideology, I suppose it's worth your time, but maybe not your hard-earned protein bars.
I'm glad everybody's digging Guardians. :)

So when the hell do we get to see Santa Claus?

B

(Holy cow, only 1011 words?  Is this actually my work?)

Also, as noted, Altered States (1980).  The best drug-fueled cosmic horror movie in at least six billion years.

Tangible and incarnate

Upgraded to an A+

(Well, it's under 3k, anyway. -_- )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Captain America, Winter Soldier- Continues where the second half of the original film left off. i.e. its not very good.  It was strange to see Black Widow with such a prominent role. It was less of a Captain America film and more of a general Shield film. It's odd really, it has super heroes at the core but tries to go a bit Borne Identity with them and deals oh so much with their feelings.

Praising the Expendables and bashing Winter Soldier?

You're as a bad as Ide
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

The Expendables was a fun little movie that didn't try to be anything more than it was.

And Ide just gave Altered States an A+ ffs.

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2014, 01:33:51 AM

Praising the Expendables and bashing Winter Soldier?

You're as a bad as Ide
:o  ET TU TIM?

Winter Soldier was mediocre, an eyesore in otherwise splendid year for superheroics.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 04, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
The Expendables was a fun little movie that didn't try to be anything more than it was.

And Ide just gave Altered States an A+ ffs.

Altered States is superb film.  What's your damage?
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach