News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2014, 09:26:08 PM
Watched most of "Love, Actually" the other day.  This is the kind of movie the English should not be allowed to make.

Wha? That movie is wonderful!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

It's awful.  The little kid is cute but every thing else is sappy.

CountDeMoney

"Love, Actually" needed to change the name to "Wish Every Character Dies a Stupid Death Drowning In Their Own Vomit, Actually"

Fucking romantic comedies.  THATS NOT HOW THE REAL WORLD WORKS

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2014, 10:04:00 PM
"Love, Actually" needed to change the name to "Wish Every Character Dies a Stupid Death Drowning In Their Own Vomit, Actually"

Fucking romantic comedies.  THATS NOT HOW THE REAL WORLD WORKS

Are you kidding? Emma Thompson's character has no happy ending. Her husband is a philanderer and she realizes she is too old to go about making a new life for herself so stays with him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2014, 09:59:27 PM
It's awful.  The little kid is cute but every thing else is sappy.

No. Also, it is a romantic comedy. It is supposed to be sappy. :huh:

CountDeMoney

Thompson's character got off easy.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2014, 09:57:28 PM
Watched most of "Love, Actually" the other day.  This is the kind of movie the English should not be allowed to make.

Exactly! :hug:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Dangerous Liaisons.  Now that's the kind of love story with real life endings.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2014, 10:10:47 PM
Thompson's character got off easy.

Well, I suppose her husband could have left her ass.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2014, 10:12:32 PM

Being laughed out of the opera? :D

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 21, 2014, 10:11:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2014, 09:57:28 PM

Exactly! :hug:

Admittedly, I love most of what Richard Curtis creates. Well apart from Mr. Bean and I don't recall liking Four Weddings and a Funeral but perhaps I was in the wrong head space at the time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2014, 10:14:09 PM

It's the sting that keeps on stinging.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2014, 10:10:04 PM
No. Also, it is a romantic comedy. It is supposed to be sappy. :huh:

I didn't notice the comedy.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2014, 10:14:09 PM

Cruel Intentions is CDM's second favorite movie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

X-Men (2000).  I was there and I can't even remember how cool this must've been in 2000.  Today the comparatively small story told by the first modern superhero film is quaint--and more than a little refreshing.  Of course, what really sticks out like a sore thumb is how even the very first X-Men feature film, made eleven years before, has better-looking VFX than X-Men: First Class.  And what comes off as depressing now is that it's the first in the unending line of Wolverine ft. Professor X and Magneto shows that the franchise still hasn't grown out of--but, there's no use in blaming X-Men '00 for that.

And maybe they just give him more to do, but, yeah, Fassbender really is better than McKellen.  Sure, it's degrees of A+, but that's my judgment.

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)