News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2014, 11:10:21 PM(The Noel Coward original is a B btw.  Soulless and mean--and not only in comparison.)
That does sound like Noel Coward. But for British drama of that era he's soulful - see Brief Encounter.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

'Rush' - a nice retelling of a classic life and death struggle.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Instead of the rest of Weekend, I watched Cruel Gun Story (1964), a Japanese noir.  It had characters and a heist and all sorts of double-crosses, as well as significantly less stupid-looking gunplay.  This is what is generally referred to as a "movie."

B
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 18, 2014, 08:13:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2014, 11:10:21 PM(The Noel Coward original is a B btw.  Soulless and mean--and not only in comparison.)
That does sound like Noel Coward. But for British drama of that era he's soulful - see Brief Encounter.

I would, because I do like his jibber-jabber.  But the David Lean movies aren't on Hulu. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

The Freshman (1925).  Also a movie, one starring Harold Lloyd.  As usual, he is a nerd.  However, the illusions he has about life are here are internalized, and when he goes off to college, deploying lines and goofy physical comedy he learned from the pictures, he gains a measure of popularity, but only because the actual cool kids like to have him around to laugh at.  But he makes those who have wronged him pay.  Notable for being funny despite 80% of the jokes being about sewing.  Some of the sewing is frankly erotic in nature, and the female lead, Jobyna Ralston, is really pretty.  She was also in Wings, which I really ought to see one of these days.

B+

Can anyone make a case for the back hour of Weekend not being a waste of my mortal life? :hmm:
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Lone Survivor- not much plot, lots of action, modern warfare style
Jack Ryan- I don't really buy Chris Pine in this role, but the movie was ok
Monuments Men- Kinda cheesy, feel-good fluff

All 3 in the B-C range depending on how charitable I'm feeling
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Robin Hood (2010). Scott tries a somewhat history-based approach to the Robin Hood character, making a prequel of sorts where he gets involved in the conflict between England and France and becomes an outlaw in the process. The "serious" take on the character sucks a bit of the joy from the tale, and the sense of self-importance makes for a mandatory too long running time that dillutes the actual entertaining bits, but at least it tries something a bit different.

All in all, I haven't seen his wine flick, but I think it's gotten to the point where it's impossible for Ridley Scott to make a film that's completely devoid of interesting stuff, even if the film overall isn't a good one (like Prometheus, which is visually arresting despite sucking). Here you get some good battle scenes, and a sense of gravitas that provides some high point. Plus Russell Crowe always delivers in these larger than life roles (I read his accent is stupid, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell).

Somebody needs to give Scott a REALLY good script before he gets too old.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2014, 11:23:02 AM
Robin Hood (2010). Scott tries a somewhat history-based approach to the Robin Hood character, making a prequel of sorts where he gets involved in the conflict between England and France and becomes an outlaw in the process. The "serious" take on the character sucks a bit of the joy from the tale, and the sense of self-importance makes for a mandatory too long running time that dillutes the actual entertaining bits, but at least it tries something a bit different.

All in all, I haven't seen his wine flick, but I think it's gotten to the point where it's impossible for Ridley Scott to make a film that's completely devoid of interesting stuff, even if the film overall isn't a good one (like Prometheus, which is visually arresting despite sucking). Here you get some good battle scenes, and a sense of gravitas that provides some high point. Plus Russell Crowe always delivers in these larger than life roles (I read his accent is stupid, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell).

Of Scott's off beat movies, I've always liked Matchstick men.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

I liked Matchstick Men, although[spoiler] I'm a bit fed up of the cliched "It was all a con!" non-twist endings of most con movies.[/spoiler]. But yeah, it's quirky done well.

My favorite film of his since his comeback with Gladiator is the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2014, 11:23:02 AM

It's called THE BIBLE. :pope:
Kinemalogue

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2014, 12:08:15 PM
I liked Matchstick Men, although[spoiler] I'm a bit fed up of the cliched "It was all a con!" non-twist endings of most con movies.[/spoiler]. But yeah, it's quirky done well.

My favorite film of his since his comeback with Gladiator is the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven.
Agreed on the liking of the Director's Cut.  Great flick.  I really like A Good Year as well.  I'd recommend it. :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

Having been to the Balkans a few times I finally started watching the Death of Yugoslavia which was recommended to me by friends over there. Incredibly interesting. What's striking is that it was made in 1995 with lots of interviews with the leaders involved. They never imagined any of them would end up in the Hague so they're all pretty candid about it and their role (in their own views). Brilliant TV.

First episode here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNK0fBa789Y
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

J and I took in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  Good movie and worth seeing if for no other reason than to see my backyard  :D  I was happy to see that I could recognize where most of the forest scenes were shot.  Almost all of it is shot on or near trials we usually walk along.  The scene where the humans first encounter the apes is on our favourite walking route and the opening scenes are literally meters away from the trailhead where we enter the forest trail system (about 5 minutes walk from my front door).

Oh and the movie is pretty cool too.

Scipio

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2014, 12:08:15 PM

Dances with Extra Lots of Muslims was far superior to Dances with Muslims, but suffered in comparison to Robin Hood and Gladiator, IMHO. Nice historically tolerable battles, though.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Just somewhat blindly bought Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion.  It's CDM's favorite movie. :)
Kinemalogue