News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2014, 06:34:55 PM
That's what I heard. Definitely not enjoyable, then?

They moved the setting to Thailand but forgot to write new jokes.

Ideologue

Maybe it's less weird than I give it credit for, but it can be a distressingly small world sometimes: the '64 TV version of Design For Living stars John Wood and Daniel Massey, star of WarGames and son of the star of Things to Come, respectively, both of which I just watched in the past week. :tinfoil:

(The Noel Coward original is a B btw.  Soulless and mean--and not only in comparison.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I love Things To Come. Certainly not a "good" film, but an apocalyptic British 1930s sci-flick is something so unique that certainly's got to be treasured. I love how, for example, the film portrays the idea - prevalent at the age - that strategic bombing could potentially turn civilization into ashes.

The problem for me is that the script is way too preachy, fixated on conveying its message rather than letting its characters being real people and not puppets. It's actually not even a proper story, just a dramatized chronicle of hypothetical future events, which makes it hard to get involved in. Sets and visuals are amazing, though.

Moreover, it features engineers setting up a technocratic dictatorship and taking over the world. A gripping cautionary tale.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Watched a few episodes of the Last Ship.  I dont think I will continue with this.

In one episode our merry band of mariners narrowly escape from the clutches of an evil Russian admiral with a superior ship ([spoiler]and magically teleport the two crew members who went on a suicide run to do accomplish that goal back on board)[/spoiler]

In the next episode they are dead in the water because of an engine problem (they needed Scottie) and they broadcast their position over the airwaves to try to get the attention of any ship in the area who might assist them.  Apparently the big bad Russian ship that is presumably trying to find them didnt have a radio crew working that shift.

CountDeMoney

You watched "a few episodes" too many of that useless steamer.

derspiess

I watched part of an episode with my wife.  Wasn't impressed. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 16, 2014, 01:50:37 PM
Watched a few episodes of the Last Ship.  I dont think I will continue with this.

In one episode our merry band of mariners narrowly escape from the clutches of an evil Russian admiral with a superior ship ([spoiler]and magically teleport the two crew members who went on a suicide run to do accomplish that goal back on board)[/spoiler]

In the next episode they are dead in the water because of an engine problem (they needed Scottie) and they broadcast their position over the airwaves to try to get the attention of any ship in the area who might assist them.  Apparently the big bad Russian ship that is presumably trying to find them didnt have a radio crew working that shift.
As I said to CdM, I could have told you to avoid this just by watching the trailer.  I'm glad I didn't waste my time :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

I watched exactly one and a half episodes.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

finished watching Prisoners of War, Season One, the Israeli, and original version, of Homeland. Really different as you might imagine. More focussed on the emotional trauma of returning POWs on their families than an out-and-out race against the clock suspense.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 16, 2014, 03:02:41 PM

As I said to CdM, I could have told you to avoid this just by watching the trailer.  I'm glad I didn't waste my time :)

Great, you told Cdm but not me.  Thanks buddy.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on July 16, 2014, 03:24:46 AM
I love Things To Come. Certainly not a "good" film, but an apocalyptic British 1930s sci-flick is something so unique that certainly's got to be treasured. I love how, for example, the film portrays the idea - prevalent at the age - that strategic bombing could potentially turn civilization into ashes.

The problem for me is that the script is way too preachy, fixated on conveying its message rather than letting its characters being real people and not puppets. It's actually not even a proper story, just a dramatized chronicle of hypothetical future events, which makes it hard to get involved in. Sets and visuals are amazing, though.

Moreover, it features engineers setting up a technocratic dictatorship and taking over the world. A gripping cautionary inspirational tale.

:hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Still going through the old Law and Order episodes. The ones where New York was a shithole.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I've started watching Boss. It's pretty decent. It reminds me of The Wire in some ways. Well, what it would be if Littlefinger was the focus and the only really interesting character.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

I have been watching Generation Kill.

It is based on a book written by a reporter who was imbedded during the invasion of Iraq.  I sure hope the incompetance of the officers is exaggerated for dramatic effect.