News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Yeah, but most people go to the movies like six times a year or something.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Apparently ABC is producing a fantasy themed reality/elimination show in and around castle Kreuzenstein in Lower Austria, around the corner from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39tJTLnoqeQ

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

It's surprising to me how many musicals are set with a backdrop of tragic circumstances; the squalor of 19th century Paris in "Les Miserables," the war in the Pacific in "South Pacific," Dicken's London in "Oliver!" and the end of the silent era in "Singin' in the Rain."   :(

;)

This is another one of MGM's "Raid the music catalog" musicals of the 1950s; similar to "An American in Paris."  All the numbers are in previous MGM movies except "Moses Supposes" and "Make them Laugh" (which is an obvious rip-off of Cole Porter's "Be a Clown.")

The film is a send up of the transition from silent era to the early sound era.  There's a number of inside jokes in it; the Jean Hagen character is an exaggerated Clara Bow, Cyd Charisse has a Louisa M. Brooks hair-do, Gene Kelley's excessively florid lines in "The Dueling Cavalier" are a take off on the lines that were written for John Gilbert.  As I watched the film I found myself thinking of the Steely Dan lines:

Show-business kids making movies of themselves
You know they don't give a fuck about anybody else

The singing and dancing is phenomenal.  Both Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Conner complained about Gene Kelley being a tyrant, but his perfectionism paid off here.

I don't care for the ballet scene.  That wasn't uncommon in the 1950s; they do similar things in "An American in Paris" and "Oklahoma."  I think that distracts from the plot and doesn't add anything to the movie.  Otherwise it's a great film and a great deal of fun.

Knowing the story of Debbie Reynolds it's hard to accept the happy ending.  I found myself thinking that Gene was going to cheat on her repeatedly and then write multiple tell-all books about what a bitch she was.  Plus their daughter was going to do disturbing amounts of cocaine.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 15, 2014, 03:50:00 AM
Apparently ABC is producing a fantasy themed reality/elimination show in and around castle Kreuzenstein in Lower Austria, around the corner from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39tJTLnoqeQ

A show featuring a big Larp?  Man they will try anything these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on July 14, 2014, 08:32:51 PM
For anyone (Sav) that may be interested, the biannual Criterion sale is on.  I'm trying to get two a week, as funds permit, or until I run out of crap I want.

I almost bought Cronenberg's Scanners but then discovered there was a big Internet shit storm over the transfer new colours so I am hesitating.
There are other tempting offers such as Franju's movies (a French release has a whole scene removed due to some mistake not censorship it seems).

CountDeMoney

Debbie Reynolds isnt in my Top Ten of Ass for the era, but I still would've fucked her blue in that flick.

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2014, 10:18:42 AM
Debbie Reynolds isnt in my Top Ten of Ass for the era, but I still would've fucked her blue in that flick.
Debbie Reynolds is in Scanners?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Savonarola

For anyone (Sav) that may be interested, the biannual Criterion sale is on.  I'm trying to get two a week, as funds permit, or until I run out of crap I want.

Presently I have gifted myself with The Life Aquatic and Design For Living.  DFL comes with practically a whole second movie--a BBC recording of the original Coward play--which is awesome.  (The idea is awesome, that is; I assume the play itself is, but do not know.)  I wish they had a blu-ray for Lubitsch's Trouble In Paradise, which is supposed to be even better and funnier, though I somehow doubt it. But I think it has Miriam Hopkins in a state of more advanced undress, which is a very real selling point. :hmm:

"Trouble in Paradise" is the most Lubitsch film that Lubitsch ever made; and that's saying something.   ;)

Of the Lubitsch films that I've seen "Trouble in Paradise" is my favorite.  "Ninotchka" benefits from having bigger stars (and better actors); but "Trouble in Paradise" benefits for having been made before the Production Code was enforced.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 15, 2014, 09:35:54 AM

I almost bought Cronenberg's Scanners but then discovered there was a big Internet shit storm over the transfer new colours so I am hesitating.
I never saw the first one, only 2&3.  Is it just as horrible?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

It has Michael Fucking Ironside in it.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Scipio on July 15, 2014, 11:52:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2014, 10:18:42 AM
Debbie Reynolds is in Scanners?
Shit.  I'll have to re-watch it.
PDH!

celedhring

I know I'm late to the party here (wink wink) but just watched The Hangover.

It's very fun, and the three leads are great, but somehow I was expecting more given the hype. It's great to see that Heather Graham is still pretty damn hot, though. The Community unhinged Asian chap playing an unhinged Asian chap is pretty great too.

Admiral Yi

Avoid the sequels at all costs.

celedhring

That's what I heard. Definitely not enjoyable, then?

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2014, 06:34:55 PM
That's what I heard. Definitely not enjoyable, then?

I only saw part 2 and it just seemed like weaker re-hashing of original.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.