News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on July 04, 2014, 06:10:13 PM
Anyone watching that AMC show set in the 80s about a company trying to invent a PC clone? Watched about 4 episodes. Not bad. Programmer chick reminds me of an actress from the 80s but can't place it.

Yeah, I'm digging it.  Cool show in a slow-burn kinda way.

And it's her haircut that reminds you of Mary Stuart Masterson, Some Kind of Wonderful, 1987.   Every blonde chick with short hair will always do that.

celedhring

Been watching some of the car films I was talking about the other day.

- The French Connection. I just love this film, it's amazingly shot and the scenes are just so tense with so little. The script was probably 40 pages long or something, since there's so little plot (or dialogue) in it, but every chase, stalking, etc... scene is so masterfully expanded it's ridiculous.
- Smokey and the Bandit. Really fun film. I probably should watch more of those 70s redneck comedies; used to love the Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid.
- Bullitt. Slightly disappointed. The chase scene is great, but unlike TFC who grabs you by the balls and doesn't let go during all film, Bullitt only works in bursts here and there.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on July 04, 2014, 06:36:53 PM

- The French Connection. I just love this film, it's amazingly shot and the scenes are just so tense with so little. The script was probably 40 pages long or something, since there's so little plot (or dialogue) in it, but every chase, stalking, etc... scene is so masterfully expanded it's ridiculous.
- Smokey and the Bandit. Really fun film. I probably should watch more of those 70s redneck comedies; used to love the Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid.
- Bullitt. Slightly disappointed. The chase scene is great, but unlike TFC who grabs you by the balls and doesn't let go during all film, Bullitt only works in bursts here and there.

Good man.  You succeed taste where Ideologue fails.

Ed Anger

I watched part of 1776.

QuoteMr. Secretary, New York abstains, courteously.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

That is a great film of a musical. 

Further proof that South Carolina was a pile of shit, all the way back in the beginning.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2014, 06:48:09 PM

Good man.  You succeed taste where Ideologue fails.

If only my taste succeed, maybe happier me.

Quote from: CDMFurther proof that South Carolina was a pile of shit, all the way back in the beginning.

Oh, FU. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

That response gets a B+.

Ideologue

So better than The French Connection :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Glad you liked it. :) Did you know it was the second highest grossing movie of 1977 in the U.S., behind a small movie called "Star Wars", and before "Close encounters of the Third Kind"?

The sequels are unfortunately not as good. Esp. the third one is a sequel in name only, featuring Burt Reynolds only in a short cameo at the end.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Burt needed the beer money.

Syt

I will say one thing for the second movie, though: its all out cars vs. trucks climax of carnage and vehicular mayhem is pretty damn fun.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Speaking of Jerry Reed, you want to catch a great comedy from the late 70s, find Hot Stuff;  Jerry Reed, Dom Deluise and Suzanne Pleshette are Miami cops that set up their own fencing operation as a stolen goods sting.  Hilarious movie.  The scene where Dom Deluise gets stoned is a trip. 

If you appreciate Smokey and the Bandit and Cannonball Run, you'd appreciate this one.

Syt

I'll have a look at it, thanks. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2014, 06:13:48 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 04, 2014, 06:10:13 PM
Anyone watching that AMC show set in the 80s about a company trying to invent a PC clone? Watched about 4 episodes. Not bad. Programmer chick reminds me of an actress from the 80s but can't place it.

Yeah, I'm digging it.  Cool show in a slow-burn kinda way.

And it's her haircut that reminds you of Mary Stuart Masterson, Some Kind of Wonderful, 1987.   Every blonde chick with short hair will always do that.

That's the one yes.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

I dunno, if I were Eric Stolz in that movie I would've told Lea Thompson and her clique to go fuck themselves off a cliff, and bang the living fuck out of Mary Stuart Masterson until she saw Jesus.  But I suppose they needed a plot.  Stupid Hollywood.