News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on June 18, 2014, 10:07:46 PM
Fargo was good. So what's the deal...they gonna bring it back with new characters?

Sounds like they haven't decided yet.
http://www.ibtimes.com/fargo-season-2-scoop-writer-noah-hawley-why-story-molly-gus-over-1604628
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 19, 2014, 03:07:27 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 18, 2014, 10:07:46 PM
Fargo was good. So what's the deal...they gonna bring it back with new characters?

Sounds like they haven't decided yet.
http://www.ibtimes.com/fargo-season-2-scoop-writer-noah-hawley-why-story-molly-gus-over-1604628

I think they should leave it and move on.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Norgy

Quote from: 11B4V on June 19, 2014, 02:38:53 AM
Just watched a good, creepy little move.

Conspiracy: A-

Branagh et al?

Eddie Teach

Les Maudits (The Damned)- About some Nazis trying to escape to South America in a u-boat. They kidnap a French doctor to check on a general's mistress. Entertaining enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Syt, I agree with your review of Edge of Tomorrow. Very enjoyable.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on June 19, 2014, 04:01:03 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 19, 2014, 02:38:53 AM
Just watched a good, creepy little move.

Conspiracy: A-

Branagh et al?

Good? Check. Creepy? Check.

Norgy

Yes, I agree. I was unsure as to whether he'd be a good Heydrich, but he made it look easy.

CountDeMoney

What made it creepy was the whole policy approach of the conference, how the mass extermination of people was elevated (lowered?) to arguments on legality and logistics. Wansee is fascinating that way.

The Brain

Quote from: Norgy on June 19, 2014, 09:23:55 AM
Yes, I agree. I was unsure as to whether he'd be a good Heydrich, but he made it look easy.

A good Heydrich? Maybe you should read some history and learn about the things he did.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2014, 09:38:58 AM
What made it creepy was the whole policy approach of the conference, how the mass extermination of people was elevated (lowered?) to arguments on legality and logistics. Wansee is fascinating that way.

Exactly. Almost like some bizarre high level corporate business meeting. All participants really non nonchalant to the genocidal act.. Even acting it IMO had to have been a shock to the senses.

I found a very few interviews with the actors. It couldn't have been easy to do. Kenneth Branagh said playing 
Heydrich was the most disturbing experience in his 20 years of acting. 

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

I take it that people recommend it, then? Sounds like an interesting film.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on June 19, 2014, 12:04:54 PM

Yes

crazy canuck

I do

CountDeMoney

It's excellent, better acting than the only other treatment on the topic, an Austrian made-for-TV job from 1984, "Decision at Wansee" or something;  which was based solely on the very sparse surviving notes of the meeting.  Talk about creepy, if you didn't know what the subject matter actually was, you'd thing it was over widgets.  That version would be tough to dig up, I had to find it in Loyola's A/V library.

Queequeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPIctGbAZEQ

I'm having trouble dealing with how horrifying this is. I'm just really glad all of these people will die horribly. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."