News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

People are sympathetic to the exact extent that they are of a minority.  So the criminal who abandoned his-her family and committed credit fraud to pay for his-her sex-change operation is super sympathetic because he-she is a black transsexual, while the white protestant heterosexual female character is a psychopathic meth addict who has had 20 abortions and is now an Evangelical.  It's the fucking worst.  The structure is borrowed from Lost and adds nothing to it.  I fucking hate it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Are you still privileged in prison?  I think that would be an equalizer  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Of course you don't.

You have the density of the sun when it comes to entertainment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on June 06, 2014, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2014, 11:18:48 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 11:09:41 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2014, 11:07:50 AM
Just realised that if I moved back to the US I'd lose quite a few of mine. I'd go from white and middle class to being poor and hispanic. I'd probably stay straight though.

In the bizarre race code of the US Hispanics are welcome to be white so long as they sorta look white at a distance while squinting.  You just have to speak English with an American accent....that part might be tough.

I do look very white, but my accent is thick as a brick.
If you're blonde, and IIRC you are, you won't be Hispanic.

Well, the chick at the uni office always told me to tick the "Hispanic" box in the forms. To be honest, it was kinda cool to be a minority for a change, made me feel special and all.

Eddie Teach

I didn't care for Pennsatucky's portrayal either, but what do you have against the flashbacks? (That device was also used in Oz btw).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2014, 11:31:07 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 10:44:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 10:32:57 AM
In an interesting twist, the half-Black sister ends up an heiress when her dad leaves her a pile of cash in her will, while her fully-white cousin/sister is left penniless. Much match-making insanity ensues - the key theme here is the intersection of race and privilege (the protagonist is in the unusual situation of being, in a large sense, more free than her fully white cousin, because she has money - yet she is very visibly Black. Oh what to do?!).

Did it make you check the intersection of your privilege?

I have a full deck of privileges.  :Embarrass: White, straight, married, upper middle class, not disabled, male.

Dont forget son of a university professor

I forgot - used to be poors impairs my privilege.  :( Damn you, CC!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 06, 2014, 12:42:16 PM
I didn't care for Pennsatucky's portrayal either, but what do you have against the flashbacks? (That device was also used in Oz btw).
So the fact that it has a structural similarity with another, superior prison drama is supposed to be a defense? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

No, but it makes a heck of a lot more sense to compare Orange to Oz than to Lost.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 01:01:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2014, 11:31:07 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 10:44:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 10:39:20 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 10:32:57 AM
In an interesting twist, the half-Black sister ends up an heiress when her dad leaves her a pile of cash in her will, while her fully-white cousin/sister is left penniless. Much match-making insanity ensues - the key theme here is the intersection of race and privilege (the protagonist is in the unusual situation of being, in a large sense, more free than her fully white cousin, because she has money - yet she is very visibly Black. Oh what to do?!).

Did it make you check the intersection of your privilege?

I have a full deck of privileges.  :Embarrass: White, straight, married, upper middle class, not disabled, male.

Dont forget son of a university professor

I forgot - used to be poors impairs my privilege.  :( Damn you, CC!

:lol:

Ideologue

If I move to Spain, can I be middle-class and still white?  That'd be pretty cool.

Also Hercules looks fun.  RED DRAGON WAS A GOOD MOVIE.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on June 06, 2014, 02:23:16 PM
RED DRAGON WAS A GOOD MOVIE.

I felt a disturbance in the Force with that one.  Had to log in while on the shitter.

Ideologue

Did you eat a whole Giant Hershey's Cookie and Creme bar too?  Paid for that for an hour.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Debating watching Saving Private Ryan---would have to be on VHS though :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

Watching Der Untergang, or Downfall, once again.
DAS WAR EIN BEFEHL!!

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on June 06, 2014, 05:46:53 PM
Debating watching Saving Private Ryan---would have to be on VHS though :huh:

Get with the times, be like me and have a dvd copy of the 'Longest Day' and not be able to find it.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"