News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

The Thin Red Line. It was pretty good, up until they took the ridge.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Silicon Valley. I made the mistake of watching the last episode first on HBO. I didn't noticed until I wanted to see the 2nd, it was fun though and could might as well have been a pilot. The real pilot was also good, but didn't reach the heights of the 5 minutes of jerk off talk of the final.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Did anyone ever follow Helix?  I was going to watch it on Hulu, but then abandoned it when I realized they only had like episodes 8-11 or something equally useless to me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 05, 2014, 11:01:46 AM
Saw Kramer vs. Kramer for the first time last night. Really, really good movie. :cry:

Sigh.  Young people.

Meryl Streep was one of film history's best female villains in that one.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2014, 06:22:29 PM
Did anyone ever follow Helix?  I was going to watch it on Hulu, but then abandoned it when I realized they only had like episodes 8-11 or something equally useless to me.
It's a very good show.  Can't judge the science, don't know that stuff.  Semi sci-fi-ish.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 05, 2014, 09:05:11 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 05, 2014, 11:01:46 AM
Saw Kramer vs. Kramer for the first time last night. Really, really good movie. :cry:

Sigh.  Young people.

Meryl Streep was one of film history's best female villains in that one.

Also the best nonsexual male-female friendship in film history.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Saw Edge of Tomorrow.  Enjoyed most of it a lot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Maladict

What the hell, no Longest Day on TV tonight? I have to dig up the dvd?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 05, 2014, 05:32:07 PM
The Thin Red Line. It was pretty good, up until they took the ridge.

Sort of agree. I love the actual battle scenes - they're quite uniquely shot.

Saw Origins: Wolverine as prep for X-Men Days of Future Past. God, that was truly terrible.

Darth Wagtaros

Yes, Wolverine sucked. 

Days of Futures Past, less so. 
PDH!

Syt

Why does the Dwayne Rockules trailer have "No One Knows" by Queens of the Stone Age in it? :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Date movie noght with my wife (kid with the grandparents) - saw Belle, a period-piece about a half-Black woman raised by her very aristocratic paternal relations (her dad, a sea captain, dissapears from the scene & dies offstage).

As it turns out, her guardian is also the guardian of a fully white cousin of hers, and the two are basically brought up as sisters. Her guardian just happens to be the chief justice of England and makes some pivotal decisions about the status of slavery (in this movie, they only discuss the Zong case - a nasty bit of insurance fraud by which a slaveship crew deliberately murder their human cargo to claim insurance on them, because the slaves were sickly and would not sell).

In an interesting twist, the half-Black sister ends up an heiress when her dad leaves her a pile of cash in her will, while her fully-white cousin/sister is left penniless. Much match-making insanity ensues - the key theme here is the intersection of race and privilege (the protagonist is in the unusual situation of being, in a large sense, more free than her fully white cousin, because she has money - yet she is very visibly Black. Oh what to do?!).

The story is based in large part on reality, though the relations between the characters are fictional. It is true that the chief justice involved in pivotal slavery decisions raised a half-Black relation with his white one, and their portrait is a big influence on the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dido_Elizabeth_Belle.jpg

Anyway, I enjoyed it very much - not too preachy, though naturally, there is some of that. Lots of nice period eye candy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2014, 08:38:53 AM
Why does the Dwayne Rockules trailer have "No One Knows" by Queens of the Stone Age in it? :huh:

You made me check the trailer, wow that looks awful.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 10:32:57 AM
In an interesting twist, the half-Black sister ends up an heiress when her dad leaves her a pile of cash in her will, while her fully-white cousin/sister is left penniless. Much match-making insanity ensues - the key theme here is the intersection of race and privilege (the protagonist is in the unusual situation of being, in a large sense, more free than her fully white cousin, because she has money - yet she is very visibly Black. Oh what to do?!).

Did it make you check the intersection of your privilege?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."