News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on June 04, 2014, 07:58:34 PM
X-Men. It was alright. The movies take a strange view of the world. Mutants are extraordinarily powerful and nearly unstoppable; Xavier can probably wipe out much of humanity with a thought, and Magneto can easily destroy an entire city. Yet any effort at all to make some sort of counter-measure to mutant rampages is seen as the first step toward genocide.  :rolleyes:

:lol: Yeah, it's one of those things where the details of the allegory comes close to overwhelming the point it's trying to make.  I find it unlikely that anyone would conflate the Beast, or Angel, or even Wolverine, whose powers are not (innately) dangerous, with Professor X or Magneto, who are the equivalent of walking atom bombs, or Cyclops and Havok, who can barely control whether they endanger people.  I wonder if all the people who support gun control would be okay with unregistered living weapons?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Watching The Ides of March.  As a Cincinnatian I'm embarrassed to say I have never seen it before.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2014, 08:17:08 PM
X-Men. It was alright. The movies take a strange view of the world. Mutants are extraordinarily powerful and nearly unstoppable; Xavier can probably wipe out much of humanity with a thought, and Magneto can easily destroy an entire city. Yet any effort at all to make some sort of counter-measure to mutant rampages is seen as the first step toward genocide.  :rolleyes:
I wonder if all the people who support gun control would be okay with unregistered living weapons?

Where are they mentioned in the constitution?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Jobs- Pretty dumb thing to make a film about. And badly made. The music in particular is just stupid, trying to make mundane moments grander than they are. The opening scene with Jobs presenting the ipod with the music of achievment playing in the background...lol
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 04, 2014, 10:21:29 PM
Watching The Ides of March.  As a Cincinnatian I'm embarrassed to say I have never seen it before.

Good Lord.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

Saw a trailer for Clint's next movie as a director.  The Frankie Vallee story.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2014, 10:44:34 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 04, 2014, 10:21:29 PM

Good Lord.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:huh:

Anyway, I just watched the scene that was filmed in the dive bar next to my office that all my company's old codgers go to :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 04, 2014, 10:49:02 PM

You're the one that said you were embarrassed.  I just went with it, man.

:P

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2014, 07:49:50 PM
I saw their Captain America movie.  Which aspect of their work on Arrested Development prepared the Russos to direct a $200mm action film?

I guess I can't disagree that it paid off--everyone loves the failed genre mash-up apparently--but as far as I'm concerned, it was not just the least successful superhero movie of the year (it's been all of them, right?), and that by a huge margin.  I'm pretty comfortable saying it was the least successful Disney Marvel movie of the nine.  Even worse than Iron Man 3, which at least was pretty well-directed and had some great scenes, only fundamentally misconceived and hamstrung with a shitty ending set-piece.

:bleeding:

Thankfully the studio won't be listening to you.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2014, 10:53:55 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 04, 2014, 10:49:02 PM

You're the one that said you were embarrassed.  I just went with it, man.

:P

Okay.

We also had that Cate Blanchett lesbian movie filmed here a few weeks ago.  Fucked up my lunch routine.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on June 04, 2014, 08:17:08 PM

:lol: Yeah, it's one of those things where the details of the allegory comes close to overwhelming the point it's trying to make.  I find it unlikely that anyone would conflate the Beast, or Angel, or even Wolverine, whose powers are not (innately) dangerous, with Professor X or Magneto, who are the equivalent of walking atom bombs, or Cyclops and Havok, who can barely control whether they endanger people.  I wonder if all the people who support gun control would be okay with unregistered living weapons?

I'd have them all burned at the stake.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2014, 10:58:20 PM
I saw their Captain America movie.  Which aspect of their work on Arrested Development prepared the Russos to direct a $200mm action film?

I guess I can't disagree that it paid off--everyone loves the failed genre mash-up apparently--but as far as I'm concerned, it was not just the least successful superhero movie of the year (it's been all of them, right?), and that by a huge margin.  I'm pretty comfortable saying it was the least successful Disney Marvel movie of the nine.  Even worse than Iron Man 3, which at least was pretty well-directed and had some great scenes, only fundamentally misconceived and hamstrung with a shitty ending set-piece.

:bleeding:

Thankfully the studio won't be listening to you.

And yet they might as well have.  They hired Scott Derrickson. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I guess pretty much the same that prepared Brannagh to direct a 100m+ action film. Or Jon Favreau. Or James Gunn. That's how they work, they give big bad action films to people that nobody would think are in the business of making big bad action films. And they have scored pretty well in doing so. At least you can't deny that there's a pretty solid style and uniqueness to Marvel films, whether they are completely successful or not.

And again, you should see the Community paintball eps. You *do* need to be able to shoot action in order to spoof it as well as they did there.

Sheilbh

It's a shame given the diversity of directors that the action sequences in Marvel movies are the most interchangeable. I think they (successfully) bring a different tone and style to lots of the build-up and the character driven bit but once it's Thor v Loki or Captain America v Red Skull or whoever else it's much of a muchness.

You know, Thor feels like a Branagh comic book movie and Iron Man feels like a Jon Favreau one - until they get into the action scenes when they both just feel like a Marvel film.
Let's bomb Russia!