News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I got 6. Never seen more than a couple minutes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I followed it religiously (I'm not religious).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Iormlund on June 03, 2014, 02:50:20 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 03, 2014, 09:51:40 AM
It's decided, the villain of the next script I write will be an engineer.

Don't see how you can do this and still have a happy ending.

Anyone can devise a mad plan. Engineers carry those out for a living.

With two words, they can destroy mankind: Change Order

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2014, 08:18:01 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 03, 2014, 04:19:51 AM
John Oliver. :wub:

He has an annoying voice.

His latest episode had me on the floor laughing. He was in good form. "The last time the Europeans went this far right, they went far right into Belgium"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

You guys have to check out "Assault on Wall Street."  Every single Occupy trope is in there.

Ideologue

Is there a violent resolution to class conflict?  If I wanted cowardice and disorganized grabassing, I could just pretend it's 2011 again.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Because Wall Street never assaulted anyone, ever.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on June 03, 2014, 11:52:54 PM
Is there a violent resolution to class conflict?  If I wanted cowardice and disorganized grabassing, I could just pretend it's 2011 again.

Not sure.  I turned it off right after his ARM reset.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2014, 12:04:01 AM
Because Wall Street never assaulted anyone, ever.

You dress provocatively.

#YesAllCash
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

The new Wachowski sibling joint, Jupiter Ascending, got pushed from July 2014 to next February. :(

On the plus side, Scott Derrickson (Sinister) will be directing Marvel's Dr. Strange feature. :)  This somewhat makes up for Edgar Wright walking off of Ant-Man.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I gotta say that I love Marvel's out of the box directing choices.

Ideologue

I did when they were still doing it; I'm hoping this means, Wright notwithstanding, that they're backing away from the "any TV hack will do" mentality that informed their last two movies.
Kinemalogue

celedhring

The guys that did the Cap movie were hardly "any TV hack". They did Arrested Development and Community before that - again a leftfield choice that paid off.

Have you seen the paintball-themed Community eps? Not the work of "any TV hack".

Ideologue

I saw their Captain America movie.  Which aspect of their work on Arrested Development prepared the Russos to direct a $200mm action film?

I guess I can't disagree that it paid off--everyone loves the failed genre mash-up apparently--but as far as I'm concerned, it was not just the least successful superhero movie of the year (it's been all of them, right?), and that by a huge margin.  I'm pretty comfortable saying it was the least successful Disney Marvel movie of the nine.  Even worse than Iron Man 3, which at least was pretty well-directed and had some great scenes, only fundamentally misconceived and hamstrung with a shitty ending set-piece.

As Thor 2, at least you can say the Game of Thrones guy had some applicable experience--even if far too much of it looked boring, at least it didn't look like crap.
Kinemalogue

Kleves

Godzilla. Liked it, but there wasn't really much of a chance I wouldn't. Could have used more humanity futily struggling against fate.

X-Men. It was alright. The movies take a strange view of the world. Mutants are extraordinarily powerful and nearly unstoppable; Xavier can probably wipe out much of humanity with a thought, and Magneto can easily destroy an entire city. Yet any effort at all to make some sort of counter-measure to mutant rampages is seen as the first step toward genocide.  :rolleyes:

Captain America. It was alright. The big Hydra reveal was pretty stupid.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.