News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on June 03, 2014, 09:51:40 AM
It's decided, the villain of the next script I write will be an engineer.

Always the goat.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on June 03, 2014, 09:50:06 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 02, 2014, 11:24:29 PM
It's a pretty great joke. :D

I think the science behind picking up TV broadcasts has been pretty thoroughly debunked though.  You'd need a receiver dish the size of the moon or something.

That's an interesting question...

Free space path loss is:  20Log(d)+20Log(f)-147.55 where d is distance in m and f is frequency in Hz.  The lowest frequency (and therefore lowest loss) frequency in North America is about 55 KHz.  The nearest star is Proxima Centauri at 4.243 LY (4x10^16 m) away.  So the loss is 279 dB.

In North America maximum power is 100 KW; converted to dB scale that's 80 dBm, so received strength at Proxima Centauri would be 80-279 dBm or -199 dBm.

A television receiver would have a theoretical minimum reception sensitivity of the noise floor which is 10Log(f*t*B) where f is bandwidth in Hz, t is temperature in Kelvin and B is the Boltzmann constant.  Television channels in North America are 6 MHz wide.  Assuming a temperature of 3 K in space the radio would need a reception sensitivity of -128 dBm.

The difference between the received signal strength and sensitivity is the gain the antenna needs; a gain of 71 dB is needed.

The size of a parabolic dish determines it's gain where G=10Log(Pi^2*d^2/lambda^2)*Ea where d is the diameter of the dish, lambda is wavelength in m (5450 for 55 KHz) and Ea is a dimensionless antenna efficiency.  Assuming perfect efficiency (Ea=1) the dish would need to be six million meters in diameter.

The moon is 3.4 million meters in diameter; so even at our closest neighbor (and under highly idealized conditions) a receiver dish would have to be about twice the diameter of the moon (and be pointed directly at earth.)

You're a treasure, you know that? :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Did Proxima Centauri used to be called Alpha Centauri? :unsure:

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on June 03, 2014, 12:08:13 PM

Is it better if engineers get to be super-villains?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

better a goat in his script than brains
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Prepare to face the power of my fully armed and operational pocket protector.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2014, 12:39:32 PM

Either an apostrophe is missing here ... or the alternate script calls for Sav to be a disembodied set of brains.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2014, 12:36:40 PM
Did Proxima Centauri used to be called Alpha Centauri? :unsure:

Proxima Centauri is sometimes called Alpha Centauri C; and is probably part of the Alpha Centauri system:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxima_Centauri
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on June 03, 2014, 12:38:21 PM

Is it better if engineers get to be super-villains?

I assumed that's what Celedhring meant; rather than an MC Ren style villain. 

The more punks I smoke yo my code gets bigger!

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on June 03, 2014, 12:44:36 PM

Either an apostrophe is missing here ... or the alternate script calls for Sav to be a disembodied set of brains.  :hmm:

And that calls for a new avatar.

Iormlund

Don't see how you can do this and still have a happy ending.

Anyone can devise a mad plan. Engineers carry those out for a living.

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on June 03, 2014, 02:48:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 03, 2014, 12:44:36 PM

And that calls for a new avatar.

John Agar made a great engineer. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Damn garbon.  I have seen every episode of that show but only got 8 of 18.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.