News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Breaking Bad is fucking the shit. Cranking out the second season on a binge watch.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

HBO put a bunch of their older shows on Amazon prime.  I've been watching Rome, which many of you had seen but I had not.  It's quite good. I like the fact that the Romans are depicted as a superstitious and savage people, which is true.  Despite the veneer of civilization they were extremely brutal.  Torture, murder, and rape are fairly routine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2014, 08:08:57 PM
Also started watching The Americans.

There are just not enough programs with Cap Weinberger nowadays :(
It's great.  Did you watch the second season of Hannibal yet?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Savonarola

I saw the first disc of a collection from Kino called Avant-Garde: Experimental Cinema: 1922-1954: Vol. 3.  It features a number of short experimental films; some good, some too wretched for words.  On this disc was:

Danse Macabre (1922) a little surrealistic ballet set to Saint-Saens tone poem.

Rien Que Les Heures (1926) which is like "Man with a Movie Camera," set in Paris.  It consciously follows the poor.  The film wanders, and doesn't have the drive that makes ‎Dziga Vertov masterpiece work.  The director, Alberto Cavalcanti, would go on to have a distinguished career in British film.

The Tell-Tale Heart (1928) an expressionist take on Poe's tale.  This one is heavily influenced by Caligari, despite it's much later date.  Even so it's one of the best films on the disc.

Tarantella (1940)  Edwin Gerschefski's piece set to abstract animation.  This one works because it's short, long pieces of abstract animation are usually boring.

Tomatos Another Day (1930) an excellent satire on the early days of sound film.  This one features garbled lines, characters telling what they do as they do it a-n-d s-p-e-a-k-i-n-g v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.  All very common in early sound pictures.

The Uncomfortable Man (1948)  This one is completely silent, with no score at all, despite the late date.  It's sort of a cross between street scenes and an office love triangle.  It's more strange than anything.

The Petrified Dog (1948)  This is an awful film, featuring mostly an ugly child making faces and an "Artist" standing before a picture frame with nothing in it so that he's "Painting" the scenery behind him.  This goes on for twenty minutes.

The Lead Shoes (1949)  This film combines the worst aspects of avant garde film making with those of avant garde jazz.  Thrill while watching a man in a dress play hopscotch in a heavily distorted lens all while a woman shrieks!

Four in the Afternoon (1951)  James Broughton set some of his children's poems to film.  The four poems are put in an order so that the structure resembles a symphony.  Occasionally avant-garde film does pay off.  This film is excellent; but there was some rough sledding to get there.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

I think my sexual ideal might be Meg Tilly in The Big Chill. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on May 31, 2014, 12:54:22 PM
I think my sexual ideal might be Meg Tilly in The Big Chill.

Gross, and gross.  Here, you dropped your woman skin face mask.

Admiral Yi

I'm with you Squeelus.  Not the ideal, but pretty yummy.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, she fits the Yi mold.  Girl Next Door meets Local Hipster Coffee Shop meet Lisa Loeb type, sans glasses.

Admiral Yi

Just watched about half of Django.  Really disappointed. 

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2014, 11:50:03 PM
Finally.  Someone with a little bit of sanity left in him.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Yi doesn't care about black people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Maleficent (2014).   Despite a powerfully good first act, Maleficent ultimately collapses into a gutless retcon that possesses little of Sleeping Beauty's native charm, elevated to watchability solely by the presence of Angelina Jolie in the titular role.  It's kind of terrible.

Why does the black bird gotta be the slave?

C

Remember John Carter?  John Carter was rad.  These past two summers, Disney's live action offerings have been pretty crummy.  At least Maleficent has the decency to be 97 minutes rather than 150, or whatever the ungodly, unjustifiable running time was for The Lone Ranger.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2014, 11:50:03 PM

What were your expectations?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.