Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 03:06:34 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 14, 2014, 03:03:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2014, 03:00:52 PM
What I liked is how the love these two women had, who had barely talked to each other since childhood and had a horrible relationship, cured everything.  But then this is Disney where people meeting each other for the first time get married on a regular basis.

To be fair, they satirized that in the movie itself.

I know.  But even that satire was predictable.  I was thinking 'it would be great if he just turned out to be a nice guy she just wasn't right for' but no of course not.  Just a meh Disney film all the way around.  But they haven't really made a good one since Lion King...I don't think I may be forgetting something.

Muppet Treasure Island? :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2014, 03:10:37 PM
Mulan? Pocahontas? :angry:

Mulan actually may have been great I was in France when it came out and missed it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

I really enjoy Hercules quite a bit.  Mulan or Tarzan (depending on your tolerance for Phil Collins in his dotage) are probably the last ones most would accept are great--or even really good--before Tangled.  (Fantasia 2000 has great things in it--I'd trade the Donald Duck "Pomp and Circumstance" for "Sorceror's Apprentice" anytime--but as a whole it's no Fantasia 1940.)

In full disclosure I haven't seen Home on the Range, Brother Bear, Chicken Little, or Meet the Robinsons.  Range and Chicken Little essentially have no chance at being good; Brother Bear could be something, but has Phil Collins back on the score even though he murdered Tarzan; Robinsons could be anything, it could be great, it could be insanely annoying, it could be stunningly mediocre.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I recall liking Hercules but unlike the two I listed, I can't recall a single song off the top of my head.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

The internet never disappoints.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Hannibal. Find the Verger story line somewhat distracting and not necessary.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

What I liked is how the love these two women had, who had barely talked to each other since childhood and had a horrible relationship, cured everything. 
:huh: You can still love people deeply that you have a horrible relationship with.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 15, 2014, 10:15:13 AM
What I liked is how the love these two women had, who had barely talked to each other since childhood and had a horrible relationship, cured everything. 
:huh: You can still love people deeply that you have a horrible relationship with.
Exactly it's surely the basis of family life.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Arrow end of season. They stumbled a bit at the finishing line, but still ossum.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2014, 10:04:45 AM
Cannot wait! :w00t:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/may/15/mr-turner-cannes-review-mike-leigh-2014

Looks great. I'll see it if I can.

The review reminds me somewhat of the A&E movie Longitude, which I very much enjoyed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on May 14, 2014, 04:00:37 PM
I really enjoy Hercules quite a bit.  Mulan or Tarzan (depending on your tolerance for Phil Collins in his dotage) are probably the last ones most would accept are great--or even really good--before Tangled.  (Fantasia 2000 has great things in it--I'd trade the Donald Duck "Pomp and Circumstance" for "Sorceror's Apprentice" anytime--but as a whole it's no Fantasia 1940.)

In full disclosure I haven't seen Home on the Range, Brother Bear, Chicken Little, or Meet the Robinsons.  Range and Chicken Little essentially have no chance at being good; Brother Bear could be something, but has Phil Collins back on the score even though he murdered Tarzan; Robinsons could be anything, it could be great, it could be insanely annoying, it could be stunningly mediocre.

Brother Bear doesn't work as a whole, but it has some interesting stuff in it. Loved the change in animation and cinematography once he becomes a bear, Wizard of Oz-style. The story is pretty generic, sadly.

I haven't seen Frozen yet, but I didn't think Tangled was all that. It was your run of the mill 1990s-style Disney toon coupled with the broader comedy that's been around since the Shreks.