And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on May 13, 2014, 11:52:22 AM
That's really great Mike. :lol: :D

Quote from: CCHow did you explain the episode where the giant women want more smoo smoo

Semi-apropos, I finally got around to finishing Futurama the other day.  The later seasons are demonstrably weaker, but 10 is kind of sort of a return to form (it's certainly no 8 anyway).

I started watching the last season, thought they were really good, so I went back and have been watching back from the beginning, not wanting to spoil the few remaining "new" episodes of Futurama. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: YiYup.  Off the top of my head I would guess the maximum number of campaigns a given division was in  was two.
For a Japanese unit, the maximum number was one.  Counting "land on island, stay on island, die on island" as one campaign, anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on May 13, 2014, 01:04:20 PM
Quote from: YiYup.  Off the top of my head I would guess the maximum number of campaigns a given division was in  was two.
For a Japanese unit, the maximum number was one.  Counting "land on island, stay on island, die on island" as one campaign, anyway.

And not counting China, the Phillipines, Mayalsia, Burma and the Dutch East Indies.

Ideologue

Thanks.  Do I stomp on your jokes?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

The Brain

I liked Pacific better than Band. Less geezers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I fiddled with my tv (i.e. used channel scan) and I now have one channel. HD-ABC. Just it time to watch Katie Couric's show...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

:hmm:

Channing Tatum is going to have a role as Gambit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2014, 09:56:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 13, 2014, 09:55:15 AM
I'm avoiding seeing that thing, the soundtrack is annoying me enough just through hearing it in passing on TV.

I am confused to the response to that song Let It Go. Just sounds like standard fare.

Ask and you shall receive ...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/apr/10/frozen-let-it-go-disney-hit-adolescent-lgbt-anthem?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Anders Thomas Jensen (Adam's Apples, The Green Butchers) is making a new comedy, Mænd og Høns (Men and Hens), with what might be the best cast ever for a Danish movie.

Mads Mikkelsen, David Dencik, Nicolas Bro, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Ole Thestrup, Søren Malling, Kirsten Lehfeldt, Bodil Jørgensen.

:mmm:

Sploosh.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on May 13, 2014, 04:25:29 PM
Ask and you shall receive ...

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/apr/10/frozen-let-it-go-disney-hit-adolescent-lgbt-anthem?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487
QuoteThe titles of various international versions speak volumes about the different potential emphases: Let Out Your Secret (Arabic), Let It Be (Estonian), Let Go and Forget (Russian), Doesn't Matter (Ukrainian), It Ends Now (Serbian), I Have This Power (Polish), I'm Free (Portuguese), Freed, Released (French) and, somewhat literally, Ice Heart Lock (Cantonese).
Can't help but feel Serbia's missed the point here.

Liep: needs Lars Mikkelsen :contract:

Also Benedikte Hansen :wub:

But - Søren Malling :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

I read some of the advance reviews on the 2-part Frontline piece that starts tonight on the NSA, apparently badass investigative reporting.

From Dave Zurawik, TV critic extraordinaire:

Not that Hayden is the only villain in this carefully reported saga. Our old friend George W. Bush is back, along with his snarling sidekick, Dick Cheney, inviting Hayden in after 9/11 and asking what he would like to do in terms of spying that he can't because of this pesky thing called the Constitution.

That's where the Big-Brother-like monster called "The Program" was born. Frontline describes "The Program" as "a massive domestic surveillance dragnet designed to disrupt terrorist attacks before they occurred by collecting the communications of American citizens." Chronicling its birth and exponential growth is the focus of tonight's Part One.

And, by the way, if you're feeling good about seeing Cheney and Bush as the bad guys, don't get too partisan happy. President Barack Obama, that great Constitutional scholar who never published article one on his so-called expertise while at the University of Chicago, has plenty of dirt on his hands, too.

United States of Secrets" is simply the best and most important work of non-fiction television I have seen this year. It's the kind of TV journalism "60 Minutes" acts like it does, but has not come close to doing since it sold its soul to operations like the Obama White House.

If you think the ideological junk food you are being served on MSNBC or Fox News is actually news or journalism, tune out the Sean Hannitys and Rachel Maddows of the world for one night, and give yourself 10 minutes with PBS to watch the opening of "United States of Secrets."

Ideologue

QuoteIf you think the ideological junk food you are being served on MSNBC or Fox News is actually news or journalism, tune out the Sean Hannitys and Rachel Maddows of the world for one night, and give yourself 10 minutes with PBS to watch the opening of "United States of Secrets.
I dunno, sounds like a centrist tard.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2014, 02:38:37 PM
I fiddled with my tv (i.e. used channel scan) and I now have one channel. HD-ABC. Just it time to watch Katie Couric's show...

One of the local channels, 11, has an additional HD channel, shows Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes and M*A*S*H.  Love it.