Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 13, 2014, 10:41:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2014, 09:56:25 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 13, 2014, 09:55:15 AM
I'm avoiding seeing that thing, the soundtrack is annoying me enough just through hearing it in passing on TV.

I am confused to the response to that song Let It Go. Just sounds like standard fare.

If the "standard" is early 90s Disney musical super-hits, then that may answer your own question.

I guess so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

The Haunted Castle (Schloß Vogelöd) (1921)

Lord von Vogelschrey hosts a hunting party at his castle.  The reputed fratricide Count Johann Oetsch arrives uninvited; hilarity ensues when his dead brother's widow arrives.  She stays only to talk to Father Faramund, her late husbands ally, who is coming from Rome.  What dark secrets will be revealed over the weekend?

The story is dull and plodding.  It does have all sorts of expressionistic touches, nightmares, enormous sets and shadows; unfortunately the print I saw was so washed out that it lost a lot of the appeal. 

F. W. Murnau's next film, Nosferatu, would be his big break.  There the expressionism takes on a more central role (and the plot would be much better; because it was stolen from Bram Stoker.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2014, 10:31:22 AM
I've been watching Star Wars: Clone Wars on Netflix.  Quite surprised how good it is (though not to get too excited - it's still just a kids cartoon).  It's also useful as something I can put on tv but don't have to pay 100% attention to, if I'm say feeding baby or something.  It's a show I was aware of, but didn't really know much about.

It's a great show-- it resonates with Tommy a bit more than with me but I enjoy watching it. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

http://lecterings.tumblr.com/tagged/jokeseries

For all the fellow Hannibal fan.  Be ware of spoilers. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

crazy canuck

I watched the Pacific over the weekend.  HBO ran the whole series.  I enjoyed it.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2014, 11:02:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2014, 10:31:22 AM
I've been watching Star Wars: Clone Wars on Netflix.  Quite surprised how good it is (though not to get too excited - it's still just a kids cartoon).  It's also useful as something I can put on tv but don't have to pay 100% attention to, if I'm say feeding baby or something.  It's a show I was aware of, but didn't really know much about.

It's a great show-- it resonates with Tommy a bit more than with me but I enjoy watching it.

Timmy said it was too scary.

He does like Futurama though (or as he calls it "that show with robots and space ships").
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2014, 11:23:43 AM
He does like Futurama though (or as he calls it "that show with robots and space ships").

How did you explain the episode where the giant women want more smoo smoo

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2014, 11:49:53 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2014, 11:23:43 AM

How did you explain the episode where the giant women want more smoo smoo

He doesn't watch that closely.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

That's really great Mike. :lol: :D

Quote from: CCHow did you explain the episode where the giant women want more smoo smoo

Semi-apropos, I finally got around to finishing Futurama the other day.  The later seasons are demonstrably weaker, but 10 is kind of sort of a return to form (it's certainly no 8 anyway).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2014, 11:20:40 AM
I watched the Pacific over the weekend.  HBO ran the whole series.  I enjoyed it.

It was good, but, as a whole, didn't hold my interest as much as Band of Bros.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2014, 12:22:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2014, 11:20:40 AM

It was good, but, as a whole, didn't hold my interest as much as Band of Bros.

Yeah, Pacific jumps from story line to story line and if I handnt been binge watching it I probably would have been less interested.  Band of Bros had the advantage of focusing on the career advancement of one guy with side stories of the people he interacted with.

Josephus

I'm not familiar with the Pacific theatre as I am with the european one, so that was probably another reason.

I'm guessing though, the reason Pacific was done that way, as opposed to focussing on one character, is that soldiers in that front didn't generally fight from beginning to end (as they did in Euorpe?)

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

The story lines were based on a couple of famous war memoirs - the Sledge one was based on With The Old Breed, which was very well regarded. I've read it, it is very good.   

IMO they would have been better to focus on one story, rather than following three. A series like this requires the viewer to empathize with the characters - if you are getting confused over who they are and what their relationship with each other is, it is more difficult to empathize with them.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2014, 12:48:08 PM
I'm not familiar with the Pacific theatre as I am with the european one, so that was probably another reason.

I'm guessing though, the reason Pacific was done that way, as opposed to focussing on one character, is that soldiers in that front didn't generally fight from beginning to end (as they did in Euorpe?)

Yup.  Off the top of my head I would guess the maximum number of campaigns a given division was in  was two.