TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

A good blot is always nice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on May 10, 2014, 04:08:46 PM
QuotePoor professor Griggs doesn't make enough to support his family.

A+

Anyway, was nativism ever really a progressive position?

If it's in a Lois Weber film it was most certainly the party line for the progressives.   ;)

Unions opposed mass immigration because it increased the labor pool and lowered wages.  Eugenicists opposed immigration because it filled up the country with inferior races.  (Theodore Roosevelt called it the duty of every Nordic woman to have four children in order to avoid race suicide.)   Interestingly enough in this film Weber avoids either line; the immigrants are northern European (she would make the case for eugenics in "Where are my Children") and they aren't depressing wages (she would make the case for higher wages for workers in a number of films, "Shoes" for example.)  The immigrants in this film are depicted as petty, mean and vulgar, due to their lack of higher education; and for that reason they do not deserve their affluence.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

I just realized I oppose immigration.  Thus it must be the progressive line. :)

I may have to check out this eugenics film, but I bet it's just stupid racism.  Most eugenicists just used it to place the patina of science upon baseless bigotry.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on May 10, 2014, 07:31:11 PM
I just realized I oppose immigration.  Thus it must be the progressive line. :)

I may have to check out this eugenics film, but I bet it's just stupid racism.  Most eugenicists just used it to place the patina of science upon baseless bigotry.

It's a lot more subtle than that.  At first glance it looks like an anti-abortion film, but it's not.

Weber was a great director.  (Even Cecil B. Demille, who was by no stretch of the imagination a feminist or generous with praise of anyone but himself called her that.)  She could put together every detail of a scene, like von Stroheim, and consistently got great performances out of her actors, like James Whale.  Unfortunately she could never not adopt a moralizing tone; so her films come across as polemics.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Hannibal: still A+ great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Okay general. A bit overrated considering the shitty consuls that faced him usually.

B-
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Had elephants with a Riefenstahl tinge.

B+

Scipio

His shitty Hans Zimmer score, however, took away from the overall 23 year performance.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Was black, though I don't see these things.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

katmai

Pain and Gain. C at best
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on May 11, 2014, 06:06:30 PM
Pain and Gain. C at best

Not even worth a 99 cent rental.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2014, 06:08:23 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 11, 2014, 06:06:30 PM
Pain and Gain. C at best

Not even worth a 99 cent rental.
was just added to Netflix. Only reason I saw it. :D
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Not even worth scrolling through the menus.