News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 22, 2014, 08:45:45 AM
What's the Mora/Negra distinction in the chart?  Since the Mora illustration hardly looks like an Arab woman...

Mora is a moor (Arab from the Maghrib). The illustrator doesn't seem to have witnessed many of the subjects he's supposedly drawing since even people with just 1/8 non-white blood are pictured dark as black coffee.

Valmy

Interesting he considered it so normal a black dude and a white woman would get together they had a caste for their offspring.  The 16th Century Spanish Empire was disturbingly ahead of 1930s American South  :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2014, 08:50:55 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 22, 2014, 08:45:45 AM
What's the Mora/Negra distinction in the chart?  Since the Mora illustration hardly looks like an Arab woman...

Mora is a moor (Arab from the Maghrib). The illustrator doesn't seem to have witnessed many of the subjects he's supposedly drawing since even people with just 1/8 non-white blood are pictured dark as black coffee.

Color coded for your convenience! I guess there must have been some kind of one drop rule or something.

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2014, 08:54:52 AM
Interesting he considered it so normal a black dude and a white woman would get together they had a caste for their offspring.  The 16th Century Spanish Empire was disturbingly ahead of 1930s American South  :blush:

We had to save all our intolerance for non-catholics, so bumping uglies with other races was quite ok. As long as they were catholics. :P

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

The Good Wife's episode this week made a reference to Always Sunny. I wonder how many people are in the demo for both shows. :hmm:

edit: Actually it looks like their writers trying to channel the zeitgeist. They also had a recent episode that poked at some quotes from Scandal...of all things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Fargo is good so far.

One question. How did he get the wound on his hand. I missed that. [spoiler]Was that when he bludgeoned his wife?[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Quote from: Josephus on April 22, 2014, 10:18:30 PM
Fargo is good so far.

One question. How did he get the wound on his hand. I missed that. [spoiler]Was that when he bludgeoned his wife?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]From the shot gun when Billy Bob shot the cop.[/spoiler]
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

I watched the second episode of Hannibal. Yes....that was quite good.

Is Agents of Shield any good? Any shows (comedies?) I may have missed lately? I'm going travelling from tomorrow and will be spending a large amount of time on trains, need stuff to watch on my kindle fire.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2014, 04:14:50 AMAny shows (comedies?) I may have missed lately? I'm going travelling from tomorrow and will be spending a large amount of time on trains, need stuff to watch on my kindle fire.

Brooklyn 99 is new and a lot of fun.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Silicon Valley is wonderful.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2014, 10:29:35 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2014, 09:35:37 AM
New Girl :wub:

Definitely not wonderful in the latest season.
Oh :(

I mostly stopped watching after Prince happened.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2014, 04:14:50 AM
Is Agents of Shield any good?

Not really. Hacker chick (:lol:) is insanely HOTT though.

QuoteAny shows (comedies?) I may have missed lately? I'm going travelling from tomorrow and will be spending a large amount of time on trains, need stuff to watch on my kindle fire.

Have you seen Episodes?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2014, 10:50:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 23, 2014, 10:29:35 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2014, 09:35:37 AM
New Girl :wub:

Definitely not wonderful in the latest season.
Oh :(

I mostly stopped watching after Prince happened.

It wasn't that good before Prince either. :(